• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Are there any Apple (as in Iphone) gurus here?

Daz Type-R

Guys and gals, quick question.

My itunes is shafted due to one reason or another, so I have to uninstall and reinstall itunes. (.net errors now fixed but getting C++ runtime errors).

I have never backed anything up in the cloud so i need this sorting.

I have backed up my music and my apps, question is, when i have reinstalled itunes it will be empty, will plugging my iphone in sync across to itunes or will the newly installed itunes wipe the iphone (i know there are 2 settings to choose from at this point but cant for the life of me remember what they are).

Cheers.

Guys and gals, quick question.

My itunes is shafted due to one reason or another, so I have to uninstall and reinstall itunes. (.net errors now fixed but getting C++ runtime errors).

I have never backed anything up in the cloud so i need this sorting.

I have backed up my music and my apps, question is, when i have reinstalled itunes it will be empty, will plugging my iphone in sync across to itunes or will the newly installed itunes wipe the iphone (i know there are 2 settings to choose from at this point but cant for the life of me remember what they are).

Cheers.

Daz,

Can you go back to a restore point when all worked OK? Sound like something has really got messed up on your computer. (Assuming it is a PC)

These sort of .NET C++ errors can be a pain and could even indicate a failing hard drive or corrupted Registry.

If above is not an option then try uninstalling .NET and C++ and reinstall from the MS download site, but usually you will find they reappear when required on installing software or updates.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AUTO CREATE RESTORE POINTS TURNED ON BEFORE ABOVE. I usually take an image copy of my drive to an external USB drive using software such as Acronis True Image. (Not free but saved my bacon many a time)

Once you reinstall iTunes and login it knows exactly what you have purchased and your devices and so things won't be too bad hopefully. Just take your time at this stage just in case. Won't wipe your phone but don't choose to reset your phone as new or something like that and do a backup as soon as you can in the process.

All the best 

Ade

Edited by Toymaster

You can also use the backup/recovery  routines on "Hirens CD" (runs from bootable USB as well  - link is http://www.hiren.info/ - This has masses of useful(very dangerous you have been warned) programs mostly all free to use.

As for the Sync I think it asks you to empty or transfer Itunes Library - its a long time since I did this last so I would google it.

Have a word with Stephen (kheldar) [:geek:][:geek:][:geek:] he is bound to know.   

Edited by Graham

Guest Kheldar

Confusions say Daz starting from scratch as he don't backup properly.

Recreate the library, re sync to phone (will wipe phone and reset up)

And for the love of Takahashi .... TURN ICLOUD BACKUP ON :)

Another thought - the phone provider retail outlet might be able to backup your phone. I know they have copied over content for me on more than one occations.

A bit of belt and braces, but I'm sure I have wiped iTunes in the past when doing a reinstall and my iPod Touch was definitely not wiped, but difficult to say what to do without being there and completing the process. It was over 12 months ago.

Ade