• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

what do imagers think of the QHY8 ccd osc camera ?

red dwalf

Noticed one for sale and to me looks like a great camera for the money, nice big chip and surely It's better than a modded Canon cmos camera.

Just like some thoughts on what people think of them please.

I believe the camera is cooled but not set point cooling as on bigger atik cameras.

Guest Kheldar

Pro's and con's as with anything :)

Pro's

Cheap

Big chip

Big pixel

OSC

Con's

Less than great build quality

Dew issues

Kodak chip (probably means darks)

Let's put it this way, I purchased one last week for the same price - however mine is older than the one on ABS so doesn't have the dessicant chamber or heated nosepiece as I think the ABS one does. I've had to buy extra stuff to bring it up to scratch.

It's not my main imaging camera, but I am looking forward to sticking the EOS lenses on the front of it and doing some major widefield :)

Thanks for that stephen, I was under the impression that they are Sony occur 453 chips and not Kodak ones

Interesting re dew issues, ive seen posts on that before, i get a few probs on my qhy imgoh camera also. It usually settles and clears after a few minutes running but it has caused probs in the past. It sounds like it may be common to qhy camera design

i think they tried to address the issue of due on the later models of the qhy8 but it was advised to store them somewhere dry with a packet of moisture capsules when not in use and fit a dew band to them when in use.  

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Kheldar

Interesting re dew issues, ive seen posts on that before, i get a few probs on my qhy imgoh camera also. It usually settles and clears after a few minutes running but it has caused probs in the past. It sounds like it may be common to qhy camera design

i think they tried to address the issue of due on the later models of the qhy8 but it was advised to store them somewhere dry with a packet of moisture capsules when not in use and fit a dew band to them when in use.  

Yup, yup and yup. In the specific case of the original 8 (may apply to others) the body/CCD chamber is not actually airtight (as some later models are) and dew can form both inside the body (ccd) and outside (IR filter) and the TEC always runs at full tilt (hence freezing any moisture in there.)

Later models introduced a dessicant plug (user changeable,) better sealed unit, variable voltage control to the TEC and a heating element in the nosepiece.

After taking to Bern I've opted to put a heated T2 ring in between the IR filter and train (keep the dew/ice off the IR filter,) replace the power box with the later variable voltage model (stop the freezing) and will be storing it in a peli case with a dessicant heater unit (very swish) to keep ambient humidity inside the case low :)

Edited by Kheldar

Also...............................

Atik 16HR on AB&S, isn't that the same chip as the 314?

Its the same chip as the 314 but older electronics.

My only issue with the 16HR has been the shape makes the camera inclined to move on the focuser.

However it does have a tripod thread that i'm going to use to help support the camera and stop it moving on the focuser.

Guest Kheldar

Its the same chip as the 314 but older electronics.

My only issue with the 16HR has been the shape makes the camera inclined to move on the focuser.

However it does have a tripod thread that i'm going to use to help support the camera and stop it moving on the focuser.

I'm sure someone thought that was a great design at the time :rolleyes: It's what put me off ever buying a HR or 285 way back

Edited by Kheldar