• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ5

Johnnyaardvark

Hi all again,

Slightly cheeky question but... Has anyone in the Derby area got an NEQ5 I could possibly come and have a look at?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

I've got a neq6 which is basically the slightly bigger version of the heq5 pro but will give you a good idea, your welcome to have a look if you wish.

Thanks. Looked at the 6 yesterday a bit more close up at Mike's so really looking for the 5 to compare.

Just noticed I put neq5 in my post :facepalm: of course I mean the heq5... had edited that out of the post title too!

Thanks for the offer though.

Steve

Guest Kheldar

If you can manage it I would go straight for the 6 - saves having to upgrade in the future, and it is only slightly more

As above, another 6 went on ABS today for £625 - they've come down about £100 in the last year

I was going to say the same thing but didn't know your budget, but I bought a heq5 pro, had it for 2 years and went for a neq6 so It's worth thinking about, good thing is that if you do buy a second hand heq5 you won't loose much if anything if you sell it later on.

The c8 - 11 may be a bit of a pipe dream. 200pds may be more of a reality.

I am pretty confident I will be buying the sw ed80 and that could be what I stick with.

Guess I am a little concerned about the extra weight of the 6 snd especially the cost if I was to buy new for instance. 6 would be fine 2nd hand price wise... something complete around the 650 mark ideally with a few extras would be super for the 6 really.

So wouldn't mind seeing and feeling the weight of the heq5 for comparison as much as anything.

Feeling a little frustrated gear wise I guess :( not that the weather is up to much cop!

I was going to say the same thing but didn't know your budget, but I bought a heq5 pro, had it for 2 years and went for a neq6 so It's worth thinking about, good thing is that if you do buy a second hand heq5 you won't loose much if anything if you sell it later on.

That was part of my thinking re 2nd hand especially... could it even be useful to end up with both eventually. How much more portable is the heq5?

Steve

I'm not very strong, and my back is jiggered, and I manage with the mount (though my version of the EQ6 is very slightly lighter than the NEQ6), though I do have the tripod at full height, and if you had it lower for a Newtonian you'd easily manage with a 6.

The key is to get something to wheel it around it, rather than have to carry it long distances. Lifting it for 10 seconds either end of the night is a doddle. I'm sure you can find the respective weights of the two mount heads online and then just mimic this with cans of beans in a cardboard box.

If you want to image, just bite the bullet and get the 6, and this will save you time and financial costs in the medium to long term, despite the short term increases in outlay.

JD

HEQ5:

Carrying capacity 13.6kg (30lbs) (not including counterweights)
    Tripod Weight 5.6kg (12.3lbs)
    Mount Weight 10kg (22lbs)
    Counterweights 2 x 5.1kg (11lbs) = 10.2kg (22lbs)
    Total Weight: 25.8kg (56.3lbs)
    Mount Height 35cm (14")
    Tripod Height 97-121cm (38-47")
    Tripod Legs Outside Diameter 44.55mm (1.75") and 32mm (1.25")

NEQ6:

Carrying capacity 18kg (40lbs) (not including counterweights)
    Tripod Weight 7.5kg (16.5lbs)
    Mount Weight 16kg (35.2lbs)
    Counterweights 2 x 5.1kg (11lbs) = 10.2kg (22lbs)
    Total Weight: 33.7kg (74lbs)
    Mount Height 41cm (16")
    Tripod Height 85-147cm (33.5-57.8")
    Tripod Legs Outside Diameter 50mm (2") and 38mm (1.5")

Hope that helps :)

as far as I can find out on the net,so this could be wrong

NEQ6 is a 16kg head

HEQ5 is 10.5 kg

I would as recommended before get the 6, it allow you more capacity but also will allow you able more comfortable with a longer but lighter scope

If you are really planning on using a 200pds on the HEQ5 with a guide scope and cameras it is right at its weight limit, this is why I now use a 150p to image on my HEQ5.

Think future proofing!

If I use my 200P on my HEQ5 I make sure I use my finderguider to save weight.

Didn't get on with the finderguider....

I had the NEQ6 and my main problem was carrying it to/from the car down a path of wonky steps. The weight can be quite a burden.

I'm going to be in the market for a scope later this year once I have paid for other stuff *cough* Sheila's lens! *cough* and will likely look at the HEQ5 instead, to reduce the burden. 

That said, I am aiming for visual and not imaging.

Great replies everyone. Still nervous about the weight of the 6 and frustrated at the lack of 2nd hand ones locally. Combined with being a little nervous of lack of guarantee I am just tempted to bite the bullet and buy new.

Wished I'd had at lifting the neq6 onto the tripod at full height. Only tried at the lowest setting which was ok but very heavy.

I'm lucky enough to have an NEQ6 and an HEQ5 the 6 has been out of action due to an accident with the latitude bolt ! However I've been using the 5 more and I have to say it an easier mount to handle and it's also copes excellently with my Mak180 and the ED80 so I've not used my Newt for months. So I guess it depends what scopes you plan to use with it.

Combined with being a little nervous of lack of guarantee I am just tempted to bite the bullet and buy new

Don't be put off both my mounts were second hand. There isn't much to go wrong that can't be easily fixed that wouldn't show up on a basic test and I've found fellow astronomers to be an excellent bunch of reliable people

I'm lucky enough to have an NEQ6 and an HEQ5 the 6 has been out of action due to an accident with the latitude bolt ! However I've been using the 5 more and I have to say it an easier mount to handle and it's also copes excellently with my Mak180 and the ED80 so I've not used my Newt for months. So I guess it depends what scopes you plan to use with it.

Nice to know that people do get on well with the HEQ5... mostly of course with lighter scopes. What happened with your Latitude bolt?

Thanks also for your comments re: second hand. They are coming up but not as local as I would like. I will keep an eye out. I think a major advantage of second hand as well as saving money on the mount itself is likely to be the extras and upgrades that may well come with it.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and advice. Greatly appreciated.

I stupidly tried adjusting it when the mount was fully loaded. I'm just above 55deg here so we live in danger of the bolt sliding off the adjustment lug and guess what happened ......