• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tweaking the scope a little

Guest peter shah

Guest peter shah

I'm in the process of doing a few mods to my sons new scope. I only got it a couple of days ago and unusually managed to get a look through it  the first night I got it. It already has stunning performance but I decided to get some flocking from FLO's. It wasn't easy to flock with its narrow 1500mm long tube. Already I can see a massive difference in its interior much darker wall which you can see in the photo which shows the inside part flocked. I also did the back and edges of the primary and edge of the secondary......Im looking forward to getting a second view of Jupiter and see what a difference it has made.

Looking at the results so far its worth doing.

Specs of the scope is150mm f/10.3 Mirror figured to Strehl 991......

post-4526-0-16351800-1393267209_thumb.jp

post-4526-0-50063400-1393267367_thumb.jp

Very nice peter :) I flocked the entirety of the length of my 200P it is well worth the bother-I clearly saw the difference it made. Such a cool scope this is :)

Guest peter shah

Cant wait to get it under the big black.....I have the collimation perfect....I have some new EP's coming and a full face solar filter.....Im looking for a Tele Vue Powermate but unsure which one I want....4x or 5x

It'll be great peter. I would go with the 4x. I am actually after a 4x one also. There is one on ABS (2 inch version) but I exchanged a few emails with the guy and decided not to go for it. I currently use a 2x powermate and it is great but I think the 4x will e that little but extra mag that I'm after. I am sure it will be a great pairing with your scope.

He sent the pics to me via email (I've since deleted them sorry) but it was more his info around it changed a bit in each email. First of all saying it was absolutely mint, no marks etc. But when I inspected the pics there were quite a few marks and one in particular that looked as though the cause may have been through it being dropped. Then I asked if he had bought it new or second hand and he said he couldn't remember but had had it for six years. Then also the close up shot if the optics showed marks that looked as though some sort of cleaning fluid had been used to try and clean it and had either left considerable marks or surface damage to which his reply was that he would sort it before sending. I don't know it just didn't sound straight forward to me so I left it.

Guest peter shah

I suspected poor cleaning when I saw the pic.....fine if its been done correctly but I take a lot of care when cleaning any of my optics and I've seen a lot of people clean optics like they're cleaning a pair of spectacles.......I know there are a lot of folk who don't take as much care as I do....I will probably bite the bullet and buy new......I saw one set of optics at the factory that looked fine but as soon as they were put under test conditions you could see that it clearly had some sort of impact on the surface...amazing what some people try to get away with.... but mostly scary when buying second hand.

I'm the same Peter, I spent over an hour cleaning my Powermate recently much to the amusement of my wife :)