• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Gunnar Mod

Teslar

Well I eventually did the Gunnar mod to resolve my NEQ6 mount problem caused when the latitude bolt slipped of the end of the internal lug on the casting. This needed the mount split to access the casting and repair the damage

First I had to remove the decal plates on the side of the mount. I was earned this was tricky and that the decals were easy to break. I tackled it by heating the plastic with a hair dyer and using a craft knife. Don't be tempted to use a heat gun you will risk blustering the paint and melting the decal panel. The Hair dryer I used was just enough to soften the glue without melting the plastic

Posted Image

I bent the craft knife using heat which made it easier to use. Once I work the blade under one edge I just rocked it back and forward as I worked around the decal plate

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then marked out the lug to the dimensions supplied by gunner and drilled the lug on the casting with a 4mm drill

Posted Image

And I tapped the hole with a 5mm 0.8 pitch thread

The plate that gunner on SGL Supplied was then screwed in place

Posted Image

Once fitted I re assembled the casting and took care to make sure the lattitude bolt engaged with the mod plate

Posted Image

So once the weather clears and I have a free weekend I'll get this tested properly. But for now it definitely makes the lattitude adjustment silky smooth :)

Great stuff Tom. Great that you got the plates off without breaking them too. I used a hairdryer for 40mins on each plate for mine and try till broke. Looking at the glue residue I think they have been off before and some one has out them back on with epoxy-it's like concrete. I'll have to dremmel it off to lie the replacement ones on I think.

they look a great mod, if anyone is buying another from gunner order two and i`ll go halves on the postage costs

you can see Tom where the bolt has rounded the bottom of the lug, i also have heli coiled the thread on the mount which is alot tougher than the ali, i have a spare heli coil if you want one i`ll send it to you, you`ll need a drill and a tap to rethread the mount.  

they look a great mod, if anyone is buying another from gunner order two and i`ll go halves on the postage costs

If I go for it Rob I'll do that

Hey Rob, I am undecided as to whether I am actually going ahead with it hence why I said "if I go for it..." Taking a drill to my mount intimidates me a little-taking it apart was scary enough! If I do go ahead I will PM you-as yet I am still undecided.

Hey Rob, I am undecided as to whether I am actually going ahead with it hence why I said "if I go for it..." Taking a drill to my mount intimidates me a little-taking it apart was scary enough! If I do go ahead I will PM you-as yet I am still undecided.

no worries Felix, i was almost in tears when i heli coiled my mount, noting to hold the mount steady and trying to hold onto a 5kg sds drill at the same time was terrifying, it worked so that was the only reason i didn`t do the mod and the thought of taking the mount apart did not apeal to me in the slightest  

you can see Tom where the bolt has rounded the bottom of the lug, i also have heli coiled the thread on the mount which is alot tougher than the ali, i have a spare heli coil if you want one i`ll send it to you, you`ll need a drill and a tap to rethread the mount.

Thanks for that but luckily I'd changed to the stainless one and it seems ok it was just deflected enough to skid off but unscrewed ok with no thread damage so I re used it. I had to line up the mod plate with the screw hole by sight then kept the bolt under tension so it didn't spring out again and all see well. I think there may be a slight bend but the whole thing stays smooth and positive when fine tuning the latitude :)

Drilling was easy I just used a hand held power drill with a 4mm drill bit and some paraffin for lubrication. I spotted and center punched the first hole according to the dimensions Gunnar gave me and tapped the thread fitted the mod plate and spotted the second hole. Removed the mod plate and drilled and tapped the second hole. All by eye nothing too fancy and it works perfectly ;)

Edited by Teslar

Polar aligned tonight for the first time since I did this mod and it was super smooth. I even adjusted it fully loaded and the fine adjustment was really good. Helped by the lithium grease I put in the knuckle joint when I re assembled it. Imaging now so let's hope for good results :)

• 1 year later...
Guest cbweb

Hi,

Re "...the latitude bolt slipped of the end of the internal lug on the casting". Its happened to me as well. I'm troubleshooting it. Bolt currently pushes to approx 40° then pushes against nothing.

Hair dryer for 3-5mins on latitude markings plastic disc helped by gentle taps around edges with chisels got plastic disc loose with chisel eventually under one piece then move around edges to loosen the rest.

Gunnar's mod looks great and can get me out of a real bind but I cannot find his contact email address anywhere. Could his email be posted here or I can give mine?

Thanks,

Colm

Hi,

Re "...the latitude bolt slipped of the end of the internal lug on the casting". Its happened to me as well. I'm troubleshooting it. Bolt currently pushes to approx 40° then pushes against nothing.

Hair dryer for 3-5mins on latitude markings plastic disc helped by gentle taps around edges with chisels got plastic disc loose with chisel eventually under one piece then move around edges to loosen the rest.

Gunnar's mod looks great and can get me out of a real bind but I cannot find his contact email address anywhere. Could his email be posted here or I can give mine?

Thanks,

Colm

Just Pm him in SGL forum-he responds pretty swiftly. His username is Gunnar, easy to find on there.

• 2 months later...

Yep he's on SGL he makes them in batches so you could be lucky and get one "of the shelf" :)