• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

my ZWO ASi 120mm camera is on it`s way !

red dwalf

should be here according to ups by Friday which is good as i`m off Saturday, Sunday and Monday so be prepaired for a clear night friday as i`m on nights and 3 nights of cloud after that as i`m off.

did want to ask those tjhat have already got these cameras about the software needed to download with these cameras,

i`ll be using it as a guide camera as well as a planetary camera using PHD and EQMOD without the ST4 port and the ZWO website gives lots of options and drivers for different software you use.

i`ve been told via another forum i need the camera driver of course, then the SDK software and then the ASCOM drivers.

wonder what others have used with there camera. 

I just use it in it's ver simplest form plugged straight into the laptop and connected to either sharpcap or firecapture. I downloaded the big standard drivers off the zwo website.

Whoop whoop; rob is on the zwo train too :)

Some SGL people are guiding with it, so you might be better asking about that side of things there.

I hope it is clear for you now at the weekend.

Jd

cheers James,

yep Allan, this should be a step up from webcam imaging, slightly bigger chip but more important alot faster frame rates, but at a cost of course, no point in keeping it all. i`m surprised the opticstar one is still for sale, as this has quick frame rates standard mode does 12 frames per second, R.O.I. was doing alot more. 

Yeah I just use sharpcap/fire capture and use the drivers that came with and the SDK bundle from ZWO site as this allows direct access in sharpcap 2 which opens up more adjustable functionality of the camera than just using the regular plug n play plugin. Other than that I am not sure im afraid rob-as James says loads using these cams on SGL so they'll help out. Congrats on new purchase

I am being cheeky are you buying direct from ZWO or UK sourced - thinking of getting the colour version but from ZWo direct - yes I know the poss xat at the C&Ex.

Just wondered if anyone has gone direct !

yes ordered my camera direct,

i e-mailed Sam who seems to be the man in charge there and they are fully covered by 2 year warranty. very helpful bloke.

i`ll take a chance on the duty

So did you buy via there online shop or via "Sam" ?  - Yeh I will take my chance too !  Delivery seems to be 5-10 days?

I bought from the main website page not the online shop, takes you through to paypal, delivery is 3 days

mono which one are you going for?

just has to be

not brill but this is first light processed at ridiculous o'clock in the morning complete with the obligatory dust bunny grrrrrr

3f7654f3c7ce0ea820de21c9c6110885.1824x0_

Edited by Ibbo

Ok I am thick - you said your is Mono but the pic is colour :chin_scratch2:  - do you add colour via PS ?

Nice one Rob, good cameras. Wished Id held on last year and got a colour one of these instead of the mono IMGOH

Clive

Its mono but Steve took separate vids in Red Green and Blue then combined to make a colour image

Ok I am thick - you said your is Mono but the pic is colour :chin_scratch2: - do you add colour via PS ?

As Phil said Clive-Steve puts a red, green and blue glass filter in front of the mono camera and then combines the 3 images together in Photoshop to make a composite colour image. Well that's he simple way of explaining it anyway ;)

So each filter lets only the colour (e.g) thru that creates a stack of red wave length pics. Repeat for each other primary . Then puts them together as layers in PS to create 1 colour image ???

That seems a lot of work and a high degree of accuracy (even with Reg 6 in there some where to align) - I take my hat off to you guys.

Felix/guys - does the colour version take away that RGB filter need - i.e. the three processes ?

Realise doing things in B&W increases contrast but don't you loose that(contrast)  with the filters?

Can you do DSO with this type of camera ?

Remember I am a point and click man  :D

Uep the colour camera does not need external rgb filters so is much quicker to produce an image, however using mono with filters is more sensitive

Yeah phils right there Clive. The mono cameras will capture more detail than the colour ones. If you're a point and click man, you can't go wrong with the ASI120MC. However there is a little more to it than just point and click even with a colour camera ;)

OK I have learn't something - many thanks guys

Again  :notworthy: to you pic guys - such dedication or OCD  :D - most likely the former.

Yeah phils right there Clive. The mono cameras will capture more detail than the colour ones. If you're a point and click man, you can't go wrong with the ASI120MC. However there is a little more to it than just point and click even with a colour camera ;)

What a bit like cloning  :D

What a bit like cloning :D

Yeah pretty much :D seems like a logical 5 step process, what you never find out until trying it is all the steps in between the 5 steps! Ha ha!

Sorry its me again - What is 2X2Bin:640X480@35FPS ?   understand 640x480 @ 35fps its the 2x2bin

I read Stephen's note on SGL but still not totally clear - what are the pros and cons of 2x2bin and is it supported by Sharpcap for example ?

Stephen's notes were 

"It combines N by N pixels into one "super" pixel which gather data/light faster, but at reduced resolution

It's useful for LRGB imaging, as the detail is all in the L channel (so you shoot that 1x1)
Then to save time, you shoot the RGB in 2x2 and stretch it to the same scale as the L channel."

mono which one are you going for?

just has to be

not brill but this is first light processed at ridiculous o'clock in the morning complete with the obligatory dust bunny grrrrrr

3f7654f3c7ce0ea820de21c9c6110885.1824x0_

nice one Steve, i`m getting the mono also