• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Ever Mars 05.03.2014

catman161

Nice images Felix. On focussing, does your have a graduated scale? I was just thinking if it has, focussing could be done a bit more systematic rather than trial and error back and fourth by eye. I mean, the live image may not be the same as the processed image from many frames. If you had an arbitrary scale, you could focus by eye, take an avi. Then, take avis at several very closely spaced incremented positions from "eye focus", on one side, then go back to eye focus position and wirk your way out taking equal spaced avis. Somewhere in between the extremities, true focus will be there and it may be that an avi taken that looked slightly out of focus live, might be closer to focus after processing. I know, the decision on focus being reached is subtle. The live avi could be in focus adjusted for a few moments of good seeing only. But when the avi is recorded, changes in seeing means it could go out of focus for more or less time than for the length of time it was focussed in live time just prior the run.

But if the avis were run at several positions just close to and either side if focus, there might be a better chance of capturing a higher % number of frames in focus for a position that is the optimum position (optimum meaning - for a higher number of frames in focus for a given brief period of good seeing?).

I think of an analogy of filming someone on stage. If you focus on them in one position, theyll be in focus. But when they move forward or backward, theyll be out of focus if they are outside the depth of focus. But it might be that if you focus on them when they are furthest away, the focus setting would be good if they stayed in that plane. Similarly, if they stayed in a plane closer to the observer, with slightky different setting, they'd be in focus for when they are at the front. There will be one focus setting where a larger number of frames will be in focus. If as many permutations were tried, systematically, the chances are a greater number of frames will be in focus. The precision to which focussing can be done will allow a greater amount of positions to be tried either side and close to focus. Does it make sense?

Derek