• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Raspberry pi camera solution

stash

I have been following so info on the net about using Raspberry PI Camera as a web cam alternative with no laptop required and remote control of the camera.

This guy has actually set up a rig and do some testing - picture output

>http://www.flickr.com/photos/robpettengill/sets/72157635483690850/

The std PI camera is hd .

The only downer is that PI doesn't have Wireless inbuilt (doggle reqd) otherwise you would need NO WIRES except for a power connection. You can remote to PI from Iphone ,Windows etc and stream - no sure the effect on processing speeds.

Any thoughts

I've got a couple of Pi's. I've played with guiding, I got it tracking stars, but not driving the mount. I've stuck to tried and tested for that, given the precious little clear sky we've had lately. No time for just experimenting.

I don't think the network traffic has much of an effect on the processor. Pi CPU runs at 700 MHz, about the same as an older phone, so there is plenty left for everything else. I had seen this elsewhere and must say was tempted. It does save lugging a laptop around.

"It does save lugging a laptop around." - exactly and less wires/power requirements(maybe) - As I don't use a GoTo its not a problem but I had thought about expanding from the PI /camera to a remote PI/camera/focus device set up using the pi and my phone.