• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Any planned observing meets coming up ?

Bino-viewer

Hi folks,

Just wondering whats happening with the observing side of things ?  :screwloose:

We are now approaching mid-March, but nothing seems to be stirring. I've been checking the planned meets section, but theres been nothing since November  :o

This isn't intended as a gripe from me.....apologies if it seems that way.

Obviously we've had a wet, soggy winter, mud everywhere and need to stay off the grass etc.

Isn't it time then that we looked at alternative sites as a winter contingency plan ? Surely there must be a car park somewhere in the sticks we could use ?

At this rate we'll be getting in to summer and will have missed whats left of the dark winter nights.

Any thoughts...............?

Both dark sites are unusable and waterlogged at the moment! (they are meeting at badger farm tonight!!)

i know dark skies exist at minniglow, just a bit further than Belper, but am unable to find a car park that dont have high trees around :(

I had the same thought of a just temporary place until sites drained a bit.

Any suggestions welcome... but i have not found anywhere close enough

Both dark sites are unusable and waterlogged at the moment! (they are meeting at badger farm tonight!!)

Understood. 

Surely though its an improving picture ? 

My local park (Darley) has an organised weekly 5k run every Saturday that i often do. While conditions over winter have been dire, things have been rapidly improving,

certainly over the last 3 weeks. In fact Derby has been pretty dry over the last month ; average or even below-average rainfall i'd say. 

As Ron says, a couple of us are heading up to badger farm tonight. Bit of trek but you would be more than welcome to join us if you need to scratch that observing itch. :-)

Love to Mark. I'd love to cure 'that itch', but its a bit far for me to go from Derby  :lol:

Have a good night though ; i may set up a scope in the garden in the meantime. The moon has an odd looking 'double-halo' round it that warrants investigation !

would also add can anybody remember a decent forecast so as we can hold or be worth a meet

Thought yesterday / today looked ok ??  :e_confused:

so did I last night

once I had got set up had a meal the fog/cloud rolled in :angry:

Belper is still out till we get the OK and WW is a bit far on the strength of last nights forecast for me.

Tonight is home only as I'm working tomorrow

Edited by Ibbo

I went up to Belper last week for a flying visit and it was completely water logged, Wymeswold pretty much the same according to sources there. You have to remember these are both cricket pitches and by virtue are flat so drain rather much slower than sloped sites.

About one mile due west of Belper dark site is Alport Heights. This is where 7 or 8 tall police aerials are sited on top of a hill. If you look on google maps there are two separate hardstanding car parks immediately on the south side of the aerials about 100 meters along a narrow road off Alport Lane. I have been to this car park a few years ago in the day time and know it provides some fantastic views across many miles to the south. The north does not have such a distant outlook but the sky would only be marred in places by the tall aerials. You could probably get 10 to 20 cars in each car park.

As far as I know there are no restrictions on visiting these car parks, and I have seen people there in the summer having picnics.

Since the car parks are solid surfaces they should be good for tripods and walking around.

Just an idea for a temporary dark site :)

Possible for cars but not for taller vehicles due to height restriction barrier on the entrance lane, it's only about 6ft

Never thought about a height restriction. I don't think it was there last time I went. I can now see it at the fork in the road between the two car parks on google maps. You can get a better view of the barrier from the Alport Lane street view.

Another place that may be worth looking at is Drum Hill scout campsite.

Quite sheltered up there too.