• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

7th March Big Mak + 1000d Moon

philjay

Managed another play for an hour before the high mist rolled over and ruined seeing. This was a race against the encroaching high mist so numbers of subs were low.

Details as it says on the image

This is a half sized image when clicked on, full size is here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69947839/EMS%20Pics/march14/lunmak070314.jpg

I like this scope / camera combo, just need the conditions long enough to do it justice with more subs

lunmak070314b.jpg

Very tidy. The focus looks sharp over the whole image which is nice as I often feel one bit (usually the terminator) is in focus but other bits aren't. It is a very nice image, you must be pleased. Well done.

JD

This is excellent Phil, loads of detail captured and nicely balanced illumination, not overly bright on the limb.

Paul

Thanks folks, its a nice scope and camera combination giving a superb image size.

Stacking 56Mb Tiffs makes my pcs eyes water a little but it gets there in the end. I had to take a few stacking artefacts off the final image but its come out quite clean I reckon. At least three times as many subs per pane is needed for a smoother Raw image I reckon so that's what I shall be aiming for next.

You're enjoying the Mak aren't you, and turning out some nice work. You just need a night where it's going to stay clear for more than a few minutes.

I like that, very nice. What software did you use to stack? I've not had any joy using Registax for DSLR pics.

I like that, very nice. What software did you use to stack? I've not had any joy using Registax for DSLR pics.

i just used Registax, i converted the raw cr2 subs to tiff then stacked in registax. Its very processor intensive but it gets there in the end