• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Daytime moon 9.3.14

dawson

Inspired by philjay and his moon mosaic, as I sat in the garden reading after mowing the lawn, I looked up at the moon and wondered if it could be imaged in the daytime....

Canon 6D at prime focus on C11, at 15:30 hrs today, two panel mosaic, video of 60 seconds for each panel, 25 fps, (1920x1080), ISO 100, shutter speed about 1/500th. Videos run through PIPP and best 80% kept; avi's then run through registx 5.1 (6 didn't want to play today), and best 70% frames kept (about 700 frames stacked in each panel). No adjustments to wavelets or RGB alignment. The two files just bunged into Microsoft ICE, saved as a TIFF, cropped to get rid of the edges in Faststone, then uploaded.

I suspect there is more data to be seen but I just like the paleness of it and the subtely against the blue sky background.

JD

daytimemoon9314_zpse3956ee1.jpg

I just tried to correct the RGB misalignment, and the normal moon colour appears, but I need to do some flats to get rid of some artefact!

JD

Thanks both. I've just taken one flat, as that all registax seems to like, and now trying to re-stack... No idea of the result, but what this space.

JD

Thanks. Trying to get Registax to take away a flat was too difficult, so I gave up. I'll post the RGB aligned image (with the awful vignetting!).

JD

Merged the R, G and B peaks in Photoshop, but the vingetting then is much more apparent in both panels.

Anyone any ideas how to get rid of this when using videos in daytime?

JD

daytimemoon9rgb_zps81852a9b.jpg

Managed to get registax 5.1 to remove some of the flat frames from the two panels, but there is still some artefact I can't get rid of, but i like it better.

I think my advice is, try not to image the moon when there is too much day light :)

MVI_5490_pipp_stitchyyyyzzzzz_zps26e913c