• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Io transit with DLSR

dawson

After a fun afternoon playing with my telescope and the moon, I had a quick look at Jupiter at about 18:30 whilst the sky was still light. I thought there was a dead fly on the optics as there was a black dot on the disc of the planet in the 8mm EP, but as I moved the scope I realised it must be a moon transiting.

As I blew my ZWO camera up last night (don't ask), I decided I'd have to have a crack at imaging this transit with the DSLR.

Canon 6D on a 1.25" 2x Powermate at prime focus on C11; seeing was pretty good and there was a fair amount of mist evolving in the air which didn't seem to hinder things. 150 seconds of video at ISO 400, 25 frames per second. Massive video cropped in PIPP and best 80% of frames given to Registax which stacked the next best 80% of frames (about 2400 in all). Fiddle with wavelets and unsharpen mask in Photoshop CS2.

It transpires Io is the moon to the left of the planet with its shadow to the left of the Great Red Spot; Ganymede is the moon to the right of the planet (data from: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/jupiter#).

It's not a S@N winning image, but I'm pleased I captured it. Just need to get onto ZWO and try and resolve that issue!

JD

IoTransit9314_zps2627242c.jpg

nice image James,

come on tell us the story of the zwo, is there something we need to know about, do they explode if plugged in to long ?

Nice one dude :) I took a few Avis this evening. Will process at some point tomorrow. Misty all night though so am not holding out any hope. Looks a nice image for dslr shot.