• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DIY AstroCam

TasKiNG

I'm saving up for a decent camera for imaging planets but needed something to use until I get one.

I  bought a cheap webcam off ebay for £5 from Hong Kong and have modified it for telescope use by fitting the circuit board into an old eyepiece.

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

I tried it on Jupiter but all I got was a white disc with no detail due to the automatic exposure circuit and lack of enough manual control. 

The moon was much better. Here's a few pics from the camera. 1000 frames, Autostakkert, and then photoshop.

moon1_09mar14.jpg

moon2_09mar14.jpg

moon3_09mar14.jpg

If I can find a way of disabling the autoexposure circuit then i'll have a half decent camera.

Not bad for £5 Dave...

Hope you manage to sort the auto exposure....

Ade

Brilliant results Dave. Love the moon pics. And for 5quid!

I recall reading something about converting webcam ciruitry to give some user control in an astro mag some time back. It was referred to as a "dead bug". I just googled "dead bug astro" and it came up with this.

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/pisp4.htm

Variations on the dead bug search theme might bring up something useful. 

I recall reading something about converting webcam ciruitry to give some user control in an astro mag some time back. It was referred to as a "dead bug". I just googled "dead bug astro" and it came up with this.

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/pisp4.htm

Variations on the dead bug search theme might bring up something useful. 

Thanks for the link Alan, looks an interesting project. I managed to get the data sheet for the chip on the camera but unfortunately the exposure is handled in the chip and is cannot be modified.

I have not given up though and will try reducing the light by restricting the size of the aperture.

Well pleased with it though even if I can just use it for the moon shots :)