• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

BackYard EOS - COM port access denied

Al.Grant

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong here.....

I have my mount and equipment connected to the PC via a powered hub and active usb cable, but seem to have a problem with BYE when trying to capture images.

BYE ver 3.0.3 Premium edition.

HEQ5 connects OK

EOS 400D connects OK, but when I go to the 'Imaging' section and try to capture anything it fails.

The BYE log reports the following:

13:50:40  Attempting to connect camera...
13:50:40  Canon drivers 'Canon210\' initialized.
13:50:41  Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL CONNECTED!
13:51:24  Imaging session started.
13:51:27  Imaging session cancelled
13:51:27  Access to the port 'COM5' is denied.
13:51:28  Imaging session cancelle
d

The above was reported using the DIGIC 2 drivers (which I believe are the correct ones for the 400D) but I also get the same with DIGIC 3.  

Everything else seems to be working OK.  COM port 5 is the correct port and everything else seems to be working OK.

HEQ5/Stellarium  or HEQ5/Astroplanner = all ok and working.
Webcam/Sharpcap2  =  all OK and working

I have tried different ports on the hub but get the same results.  I have had this working in the past using the same equipment but got this problem the other night when using COM Port 12. I've cleaned out all the old / unused COM ports but it's still there.

I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm doing ......but I'm stupid enough not to know what  :screwloose:

Any ideas ?

When it comes to Com ports etc i'm out of my depth however when I used BYE I always connected the camera directly to the laptop on its own USB cable and extension mainly to avoid interference issues.

OK think I've solved the problem.

I had changed some of the  Custom Function settings and enabled the 'mirror lock' function. 

As soon as I have disabled that option it's started working fine, still with everything running via the hub.

Even before this happened BYE seemed to take forever to complete each capture ..... even on a 1 sec capture.  

I have enabled shoot without card and removed the card from the camera and now it downloads to the laptop much, much faster.   :) 

Edit to add:

Now found in the BYE manual that it says  "Mirror Lock requires a serial cable in addition to the USB cable"

Note to self:    RTFM!

Edited by Al.Grant

Glad its sorted, also removing the memory card helps with banding noise on the images.

Glad it's sorted Al, that's new to me about removing the card? You live and learn!!  :)

Cheers

Ron

Guest chrism37

Well, this is my first post so here goes!!!

If you are after mirror lock in BYEOS then on some camera models you can use simulated mirror lock (under the advanced settings menu). I managed to get it working on my 1000D. Mind you I've had so much trouble with my WO flattener I am thinking of getting rid of the DSLR and going with something smaller.

Shame because I won't be able to use BYEOS any more. Love it.

Chris

Guest chrism37

Hi Ron. Well, where do I begin!?

Basically I have a GT81 and bought the flattener that is 'matched' to it. The same flattener is used for three different scopes so I am guessing it's not optically matched but comes with a choice of three model-specific spacers to get the optimum distance based on the 44mm flange to chip distance of Canon EOS DSLRs.

So, long story (relatively) short, I set up my Canon with the provided T adapter, screwed in the spacer, then the flattener/reducer and got very round field effect, all slightly oblong around the centre, kind of concentric rings of increasingly long stars.

After MUCH research and the purchase of some digital vernier calipers and some Delrin spacers I have worked out that to get the optimum distance you need a spacer that is a few mm thinner than the GT81 model from WO. I got reasonably flat with some bodged together bits of t rings, spacers and so on but it was about 2.5mm shorter than the WO stock kit.

Had a few people on SGL say exactly the same thing, and a retailer told me that WO have fessed up to this and have re-worked the flattener/reducer.

I'm returning it and going for a smaller camera sensor for now.

Shame, the right flattener would make this scope a monster with a DSLR.

Strapped on the DMK21 camera and got some great results. Have come by a second hand OSC opticstar for now and I'm hoping to save up for an Atik.

Edited by chrism37