• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lunar / Planetary Stacking, Registax Alternatives?

Perkil8r

What other software is available out there for Lunar and Planetary stacking?

I use Registax v5.1 for stacking RAW files from the DSLR but it is a pain in the base. v6.1 (or whatever it is now) won't stack RAW files, DSS doesn't seem to want to stack anything without stars in it. (I argued for hours with it that the Sun is a star but it still wouldn't have it)

Does Maxim do it?

If any of the above can, and are better than Registax v5.1 please let me know, and if you have any settings I would be keen to learn them. If none of the above are suitable (as I suspect) then what alternatives, if any, are out there?

Your answers on a postcard to: Anne Ominous, Dunregistaxing, Shady Lane, Sulksville.

Autostakkert 2 is worth a try.

Not tried it with Raw files so you may have to convert them first.

Edited by TasKiNG

+1 for AutoStakkert. I prefer the stacking results from that. If you like the wavelet funtion of Registax, you can always load in a stacked TIFF. Not sure if it'll handle big files though, I've not tried that. Last time I tried that, I used my Linux VM to process them.