• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stellarium help please.

Daz Type-R

Hi guys.

Bit of help on Stellarium please?

I don't seem to be able to turn on the constellation lines function, no matter what I click (either on or off) the constellation lines do not turn on?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ohh, running version 0.11.1.

I've been puzzled by this too. When I first downloaded it they worked fine, now all of a sudden a few days after they have stopped working. The artwork and name functions still work but not the lines.

Guest BigTfromNotts

Have you tried hitting the letter 'c'?

Must be something to do with the version you are running, it works fine on 10.6.1

Edited by BigTfromNotts

Just reinstall it....

What kind of money would you have to pay to get a descent view of the Orion nebula?

To see it like in Stellarium.

Edited by MADDOGHARPER

Never worked for me on 10.6.1 either so "upgraded", everything else seems to work bar the lines.

And yep, tried hitting "C" in case the internal link was broken.

Just reinstall it....

What kind of money would you have to pay to get a descent view of the Orion nebula?

I can see it with my scope and set-up from my back garden, not seen it from a dark site yet.

Just looks a bluey / grey colour, for a proper view you will need a camera, webcam, dslr etc etc.........

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Darren,

Should work pretty well, if you are using version 10.6.1 there is version 11 available.

There is no reason why the lines should not work. Have you tried the domestos cure (ctrl alt del!) and reboot??. It could be that your graphics card has hooked up.

Edited by Tweedledum

Thanks for the replies, damn Doc you've just shattered my dreams, I thought I might get away with a 10" Dob.... D'oh!!!

Hi Darren,

Should work pretty well, if you are using version 10.6.1 there is version 11 available.

There is no reason why the lines should not work. Have you tried the domestos cure (ctrl alt del!) and reboot??. It could be that your graphics card has hooked up.

It is every time I load Stellarium not just this once. It never worked on 10.6, it doesn't work on 0.11, just wondered if it depends on the number of stars you have selected, I change that, but still no lines.....

I'm running Stellarium 0.10.6.1 on Vista. It's nice and stable and the constellation lines are fine. Di's uses Windows 7 and had constellation line problems with the same version - she upgraded to a higher version (0.10.7.1 I think) and all was fine again. HTH :)

I'm running Stellarium 0.10.6.1 on Vista. It's nice and stable and the constellation lines are fine. Di's uses Windows 7 and had constellation line problems with the same version - she upgraded to a higher version (0.10.7.1 I think) and all was fine again. HTH :)

Hi.

I was on 10.6, I unistalled that, then re-installed 0.11 from the website.

On both versions the constellation lines have never worked.

Is there any way I can upgrade other than downloading it from the website?

Is there a "check for updates" button some whare that I can't find?

There's a config file in the stellarium root directory wich sometimes doesn't disappear when you uninstall then upgrade. I allways solved my problems by making sure it's deleted after running the uninstall, and then installing the upgrade - that might do the trick :)

Cheers for that Kim, will have a go at unistalling it, then remove any other files that are still there then try again.

Thanks.

There's a config file in the stellarium root directory wich sometimes doesn't disappear when you uninstall then upgrade. I allways solved my problems by making sure it's deleted after running the uninstall, and then installing the upgrade - that might do the trick :)

i was going to surgest this action yesterday but was unsure if that would make any differance to the problem your having, i have heard that not deleting the config.ini file has caused problems with upgrades in the past though so it might be worth doing

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Darren,

I have the complete package on dvd, if you need a copy let me know I'll pop one in the post. Have three versions on pc here all work fine on w7, same on netbook which is xp. Ok on W7 laptop and ok on w2000 laptop.

Check your update history to see if there has been an update to your graphics card, I would re-install the drivers for that also if you are having line drawing issues.

Its not the config.ini for stellarium it is SSystem.ini. If you do a search for this file, make sure you are using admin privileges as you will probably find three copies of it. Delete each copy and reload stellarium then.

Cheers

So I should be all right with just replacing the 2 files you have given me, then fire Stellarium up?

Or will I still need to delete all the SSystem.ini files then copy yours into the directory?

Guest Tweedledum

Do a windows search on your c: drive, this should highlight where the ini files are hiding, safest is to delete then upload with new, or simply copy & over-write.

Cheers