• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M42 - and an unexpected guest

parklife2uk

Whilst my daughter was using the scope last week to observe Jupiter I decided to take some shots of Orion with the DSLR and was quite surprised with the results!

IMG_9340.JPG

Have a long way to go though...!!

Nice. Starting to get some detail on the M42 there.

Judging by the constant width of trace on your visitor it look like a satellite.

Cool. Yes, can certainly make out the bat-like appearance of M42.

How long was the exposure, and on what mount (just a static tripod)? and at what focal length was the lens set at, 100mm? 200mm? ISO?

It's a good start. You could do a load of those from a static mount, and stack them, and see what extra detail you bring out. Here is an example of what someone has achieved without a tracking mount or a telescope:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/latent0image/6866355961/

But lovely image, and it's always rewarding to see something which reflects what you've seen in the books or on proper imagers postings.

JD

Thanks guys.

Image details are f/5.6 5sec exp, ISO-1600 250mm focal length. Was taken on a static tripod as I do not yet have a tracking mount - that will be my first purchase after my wedding...

What software do you recommend to stack with?

Steve

Most people seem to use DSS (deep sky stacker), but i've only used it a handful of times. There are probably other free softwares out there and ones you could pay for too. See if the clever DSO imagers have any suggestions.

I remember reading about stepping a lens down a few steps from its maximum aperture to reduce coma aberration. There looks to be some artefact on your stars, which could be vibration from you or the mirror or an issue with the optics (i think less likely as it seems to be across the whole frame); but worth considering getting some form of shutter release cable/wireless device, or controlling the camera from a computer, and thinking about licking the mirror up to limit vibration, and experimenting with different f/ values and duration of exposure...

It's fun messing around with this sort of stuff.

Jd

Thanks James - I've downloaded DSS, but can't seem to get it to work properly.

You're right though - it's a lot of fun!!

Thanks Ron, I was using v3.3.2 but now I'm using v3.3.4 but I get the same results  :(

I can't seem to get it to stack upon the same alignment. Each shot is slightly different as I couldn't/didn't track the nebula. So I'm not sure how to stack correctly if I don't track.

Confused? I am..!!