• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Horsehead Nebula - 19/03/2014

xanthic

I chose the Horsehead for first light with my ED80. Probably not the best target for this time of year as it's getting quite low, so didn't have time to get as many subs as I wanted. However, I can see the ED80 is a much better scope for imaging with straight away. The stars are sharper than with my Newt and the contrast does seem better.

16 x 180 sec unguided subs, darks and flats at ISO800 with Canon 7D. Stacked with DSS, cropped and processed in Paintshop.

horsehead.png

Edited by xanthic

Thanks Rob :) Yes, it was with the Canon. I'll edit the details and add that in.

Edited by xanthic

a target on my hit list for the end of the year, i`d like to get some sort of mosaic with the orion ned included, you do get a lovely wide field with the Canons

Smashing image, and gives hope to people who aren't guiding and who only have dslr cameras - just shows what can be done.

Did you do anything fancy to polar align?

If you managed this with it so low in the sky, just think how much 'cleaner' the data would be with it higher in the sky.

An inspiring image. Well done.

Jd

Cracking image that Leigh, you used the flattener/corrector you said and it certainly looks good around the edges!! next on my 'to get list'! :)

Very nice image Leigh. As James says... certainly gives me some hope as to what I may be able to achieve with the a DSLR.

Regards

Steve

Nothing special with polar alignment. I just used a polar alignment app and did it by eye.

I like that Leigh.

The flame has come out really well.

Great stuff keep it up.

Hi Leigh

It looks like you have got to grips with the ED80 that you bought from me.

That is a good image being your first with the ED80.

Did you use the Bahtinov mask for focusing?

As previously mentioned, your polar alignment must have been pretty crack on if this is the result of 180 second subs.

On that basis ( the horsehead being at a very low declination) just imagine what length subs you would be able to acheive with targets near the zenith  :rolleyes: .

How many subs did you have to discard from the horsehead imaging session due to any star trailing?

Is the 7D modded or unmodded.

I am assumimg that it is modded due to the HA you have been able to pull out.

Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks :) Yes, I did focus with the mask. It certainly does make life easier! Polar Alignment was done with Polar Finder on Android.

I used DSS to stack and used the defaults of 80% to stack 20 subs. There were a couple with PEC errors, so sadly had to lose them but let DSS do that for me.

My 7D isn't modded. I must say I'm surprised how much of the red has come through. Can't wait to get it on another target :)