• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

American and Pelican Nebulae 23-03-2014

fwm891

AmampPelNebs2014_sml_zps3e90bf0d.png

Hi - Image of the area around the Nth American nebula (ngc7000) taken with a prototype 80mm flat field refractor on loan from Altair Astro.

Imaged to an unmodified Nikon full frame DSLR. This image is uncropped and is made up of 7 subs: 4x300s & 3x600s at iso 800.

Processing has been in PI and PS - hope you like

Edited by fwm891

It looks very tidy on my iphone screen. So many stars!

Do you use any sort of light pollution filter or are you blessed with dark skies?

I've be interested to see how much data there is in one of the unprocessed single 300second subs.

Lovely.

Jd

Hi James - No filters used, I have some street lighting problems but not much. You can see some of it across the frame...

Single unprocessed and uncropped 300s frame. Original tiff is 16bit - 70Mb so I've down sized this quite a bit:

ngc7000-004_zps3ade6803.png

Edited by fwm891

I'm always amazed at how little nebula there appears to be in the single subs! I can make out the dark central bit on the sub, which i presume is a dark nebula of dust hiding the star light from behind, but absolutely no sight of anything red. Stacking and processing is a wonderful thing.

Are the two stars (bright white and yellow) named stars?

Yes, it is good. You must be pleased.

Jd

I'm always amazed at how little nebula there appears to be in the single subs! I can make out the dark central bit on the sub, which i presume is a dark nebula of dust hiding the star light from behind, but absolutely no sight of anything red. Stacking and processing is a wonderful thing.

Are the two stars (bright white and yellow) named stars?

Yes, it is good. You must be pleased.

Jd

James: Yellow star is 62 Cygnii and the blue star is Deneb

Can't believe how many stars there are in the field - Mind blowing for a relative beginner like me.

Also interesting to see how little nebula detail there is in the single 300s frame - Demonstrates the additive effect of many photons I guess.

Ade

I have looked at many images of this region and have mostly failed to see the pelican in the Pelican Nebula. The pelican jumped straight out at me in this one, or is it a pterodactyl :)

That is a lovely detailed and colourful wide field image.

Guest peepshow

Very impressive, Francis.  

I don't know if it was taken in a LP area or not but with these images I would always have  liked to have seen

how the image looked straight out of the camera before asny processing started.

A kinda,  "This is one I did earlier."

Then we beginners  would be able to see what might be possible with our own efforts,

before and after cooking. :)

Very impressive, Francis.

I don't know if it was taken in a LP area or not but with these images I would always have liked to have seen

how the image looked straight out of the camera before asny processing started.

A kinda, "This is one I did earlier."

Then we beginners would be able to see what might be possible with our own efforts,

before and after cooking. :)

Francis has provided a single unprocessed, uncropped 300s exposure as requested by James in an earlier post on this thread. So there is a "one I did earlier" already in the thread :)

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice Francis! I'm amazed at how much Ha your un-modded Nikon has recorded. What model is it?  My Nikon D300 doesn't seem to pick anything up.

Alan.

Very nice Francis! I'm amazed at how much Ha your un-modded Nikon has recorded. What model is it?  My Nikon D300 doesn't seem to pick anything up.

Alan.

Individual subs look very weak but stacking and stretching really bring the colours through. See post #5 in this thread.

I use a full frame D3s but the d300 should be OK. I'm fortuneate to have low LP so that helps no end with the colouration.