• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

MAK 127 focuser.

RonC

Can anybody suggest something that will give me more precision than the the standard SW focuser?

• 4 months later...
Guest AstronomyShed

Might be a bit late jumping on this one but here's the answer to all your problems :-

mak2.jpg

SCT focuser fitted to the visual back using an adapter.

Edited by AstronomyShed

Guest Fluke
Might be a bit late jumping on this one but here's the answer to all your problems :-

mak2.jpg

SCT focuser fitted to the visual back using an adapter.

Id be interested in one of these for my Mak 127 too - where's the best place to buy?

Thanks Dan, yes a bit late, sold it 4 months ago!! But if I get another MAK I'll remember this set up!! Cheers :)

Edited by Ron Clarke

Just remember the 127Mak is a 1.25 inch drawtube, not 2 inch.

Guest AstronomyShed

Just remember the 127Mak is a 1.25 inch drawtube, not 2 inch.

Possibly ;) Skywatcher changed the visual backs on the skymax range a short time ago, previously all the range had a smaller thread, they now all have a bigger one i believe, meaning the mak to sct adapters commonly available don't fit on the newer models without a little modding.

Guest Fluke

So this should work with my 127 ok?

/>http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-dualspeed-2inch-crayford-focuser-for-sct-telescopes-p-2125.html?zenid=52f4700fd06fef58d3753ccc59210dab

Guest AstronomyShed

It will, but better to get the revellation one as it's EXACTLY the same focuser but about £20 cheaper, but you also need one of these :-

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-maksutov-to-sct-adaptor_d2526.html

depending on newness of scope you would also need a modding washer making up which is used to mod the newer fitting back to normal, I have a couple here ;)

Guest Fluke

I'll put that on the next to buy list then, thanks!

Just to be clear then, my diagonal just goes in the end of the focuser as normal and I'm away?

Guest AstronomyShed

Yes, or camera or flip mirror. It's a bit of an expensive upgrade for a 127 if you're going to just put the diagonal in again and use visually, I think in that case I'd be doing a variation of the clothes peg or lego wheel mod to the focus knob.

Also you 'may' find on a 127 that the SCT focuser won't clear the mak focus knob.

Edited by AstronomyShed

Guest Fluke

I tried a plastic clothes peg when I used to use the webcam. It half did the job but looked proper pooh lol.

I'll see how I get along with the DSLR straight through and using the Hyperion Zoom before potentially blowing a ton then - like you say, might be overkill.

Thanks for advice :)