• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Collimation analysis

dawson

Someone posted on EMS a few months ago, i think, a link to something which looked at the image of an out of focus concentric-ring pattern of a star and worked out how well collimated the scope was or not.

I can't find the link though; does anyone remember who posted it or where it was?

Thanks.

Jd

Good stuff. I'll have to check mine. I've often wondered about lazer aligning a secondary. Primary could do with a clean anyway.

Something to do on a cloudy night.

Thanks all; no, neither of those but they are good.

It was a stand alone program, like bahtinov grabber, which overlay truly concentric rings over a still of the image you had taken and i think gave some indication as to how badly collimated it was. I tried it on an image from my mak and it seems handy (not so handy with a mak as adjusting the collimation is tricky, but with an sct a touch easier).

I'll keep looking. It might have been on of the Al's; i'll message them.

Cheers.

Jd

I messaged both Al's and one denied any knowledge, but the other pointed me towards "Al's Collimation Aid":

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/136286-als-collaid-sct-collimating-assistant/

A different Al, but this is the software I was thinking about.

It opens up a mostly transparent box, and three concentric circles which the user can adjust the size and brightness of. The aim is to overlay this on top of your out of focus star (in real time) and make adjustments so that you improve your collimation. I was wrong in that it doesn't make any analysis of the collimation, it just gives you a template to make adjustments to improve it.

Thanks Al.

JD

Is this just for SCT scopes or can it be used on newts too? I can't see why it could be used for newts but may stand corrected?