• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello EMS

Guest Lad98

Guest Lad98

Hi all,

Just joined the site. New to this hobby and have started the long journey of astrophotography.

Have recently purchased an NEQ6 Pro and a Vixen ED81S. I already had a EOS 60D and I just need to clouds to clear and I will be on my way.

I will apologise now as I am going to be asking lots of questions you have probably had loads of times already.

Clear sky's

Gary

welcome to the forum Gary.

certainly a nice start to astrophotography, are you doing short exposures to start with or are you already guiding the mount ?

Guest Lad98

Hi Rob,

I've not even taken my 1st photo yet, But from what I've read I should be able to get around a 2 minute exposure .

My next purchase will be a guide scope. I will play around with guiding for a while before investing in a ccd.

I want to start off simple so I can see the improvements as I get more and more into it and also allow time to save up. ( I know this is going to get expensive)

Looking forward to stacking my 1st load of data.

Guest Lad98

Hi Andy Thanks for the welcome. we are almost neighbours.

How do you find the light pollution where you are. 

you`ll need good polar alignment for 2 minute subs but you`ll get lovely results with the canon, i use astro photography tool for controlling the camera via a laptop, works a treat, there`s a free version that does almost everyhting, everything you need anyway

Guest Lad98

Ive got lots of free software of the net and the wife said I can use her laptop.

Havent a clue how to use any of it yet but that's all part of the fun. (I hope)

Guest Lad98

O yes!,   I had my mount a few weeks before I got the vixen so I've pretty much got the polar alignment down, just need a clear sky to see if I'm right

the better you can get the polar aligning the longer your subs without the startrails, but you`ll have fun as you have a nice big chip on the canon so can get away with a little bit,

have fun a look forward to seeing your first efforts

Hi Gary, a warm welcome to EMS.

( I know this is going to get expensive.)

You have got that bit right! But it's frustrating and fun all at the same time. :D

Enjoy the forum.

Hello and welcome to the forum, don't worry about asking loads of questions, that's what the imagers are here for.

LP here in Burton is quite bad the nearer you get to Weetabix & Morrisons.

• 2 weeks later...

My next purchase will be an NEQ6 Pro, hopefully. Looking forward to seeing your first images!