• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Good Day All

Guest clarkent

Guest clarkent

Have loved stargazing from teenage times when walking the dog.
Wanted to read astrophysics at St Andrews but life's pitfalls intervened.
Spent my time wandering the Middle & Far East working in construction and O&G,  but also looking at exotic night skies albeit armed only with binos.
Now recently retired, I have joined a local Astro-Soc at my son's suggestion, borrowed a few of their scopes and last weekend attended my first StarParty at Kelling Heath. 
Am enjoying my return to Astronomy immensely, although my good lady makes a fair point that I should fix the house first before I spend a sou more on kit, let alone build an obsy in the garden.  :huh: 
Ciao4now
Andrew

Hi Andrew and welcome to EMS. :)

Where were you at Kelling? I was there on pitch 365. We could've been neighbours and not known about it lol.

Enjoy the forum.

Edited by Brantuk

Guest clarkent

Hi Kim

Just day-visiting friends from LDAS, Mike and Tom, on the Friday then again Saturday day and night.  Believe they were on pitch 361 or perhaps 380?.

Got the flavour of it all and even though the viewing was said to be poor, the guys gave me a great sky-tour intro: a number of Messiers, Saturn, Mars and other sights. Tracked a few satellites across the sky with my binos as well; now that was a first. 

Andrew

Hi, welcome aboard. Hope you enjoyed Kelling heath. Well be there in the autumn.

Guest clarkent

Hi Andy

Would like to be there in Sep also.  Must admit I was a little surprised at the two major light domes of Holt and Sherringham/Cromer?. 

However, still well better than my sodium lamp glows at home.  

Hope to bring my own scope next time, not just binos.

One of the light domes is caused by a public school near Cromer who have just flood lit their rugby pitch. It's still visible on a good night, though not as bad. I think the clouds were picking up a lot of the reflection. You must've been visiting 380 cos 361 was right behind us and unoccupied. Hope we see you in the Autumn. :)

Hi Andrew, a warm welcome to EMS.

It looks like the bug has got you good!

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask, someone will be along with help.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Guest clarkent

Thanks to you All for the kind words of welcome.

Look forward to lots of good chat.

Good luck at SGL9 with clear skies

Andrew

Guest nightingale

Hi and welcome 

I agree we haven't had the best skies the last week. I hope it gets better . If you live in Lincoln area please come to tonight's meet . Hope the sky keeps well and clear.

laks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Andrew,

I totally missed your intro post until today, yet we have corresponded via PM, phone and have met in person when you bought my 10" Schmidt Newt!

So here's a belated welcome to EMS :) .