• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Xbox cam and Registax 5

I don't know whether any of you find Registax 5 works better on AVIs that are a bit "jumpy". I don't have a driven mount, so I hand guide and sometimes when I bring something back from the edge of the field of view it "jumps". Having had problems getting my SPC880 to work on Windows 7, I am now using an Xbox cam.

Unfortunately, Registax 5 does not like my AVIs.

Does anyone have a workround, please?

Have you tried running them through PIPP first? The output from that is usually Registax friendly.

Phil,

The free ware PIPP can be used to sort your frames into quality order, and used to crop around the object in question to limit the jumping effect.

How big is your AVI file? If over 4gb all registax will struggle. I used to find registax 5 was better than registax 6 for bigger AVI files, but a recent update seems to have addressed this, though i can't comment as i've started to use AS!2 to stack, and registax for wavelets.

Are you trying to open the AVI from within registax, or trying to drag and drop the AVI on registax which it doesn't seem to like.

What capture software did you use? Is it the most recent version? A had an episode of using sharpcap where it appeared to save a file, but the files were corrupt and nothing could open them. Can you play and watch the AVI in a video playback software (i use VLC as it seems to play most formats and is free).

Jd

As above PIPP will sort the jumping and avi file format problem. PIPP also gives you the option to add gain to the final avi so if your original capture is a little on the dim side you can brighten it with PIPP and then again when you do your post processing.You should start using AS!2 to stack as it it far more efficient and delivers better results than registax in my opinion. AS!2 also allows batch stacking of multiple avi files at a time.

Phil,

The free ware PIPP can be used to sort your frames into quality order, and used to crop around the object in question to limit the jumping effect.

How big is your AVI file? If over 4gb all registax will struggle. I used to find registax 5 was better than registax 6 for bigger AVI files, but a recent update seems to have addressed this, though i can't comment as i've started to use AS!2 to stack, and registax for wavelets.

Are you trying to open the AVI from within registax, or trying to drag and drop the AVI on registax which it doesn't seem to like.

What capture software did you use? Is it the most recent version? A had an episode of using sharpcap where it appeared to save a file, but the files were corrupt and nothing could open them. Can you play and watch the AVI in a video playback software (i use VLC as it seems to play most formats and is free).

Jd

Hi James,

PIPP worked a treat, thanks. I will be posting a link to it on my "Downloads" page but not until after my laptop has been rebuilt.

Thanks,

Phil.