• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

SPC880 and Windows 7

If I remember, someone kindly wrote a solution but I didn't get round to doing it. My laptop is going back to corporate IT for a rebuild, so there's no point in doing it now.

I'm not sure how easy it is to "flash" an SPC880, or whether I'm better off just installing the driver.

If anyone has used an SPC880 with Windows 7, please let me know. I'm sorry I lost the original thread.

I use mine on Win7pro and it works fine. It's flashed to 900 though if that makes any difference but I very much doubt it.

Edited by Perkil8r

I use mine on Win7pro and it works fine. It's flashed to 900 though if that makes any difference but I very much doubt it.

Also using mine on 64bit Win7 pro without any problems. It was flashed to 900 on a Vista PC though..... Not tried to flash on Win7.

I'll try it after my laptop has been rebuilt. However, so far the Xbox cam on one imaging session has suggested it could be as good as the SPC880.

Guest Tweedledum

I'd cast a casual glance over your internal IT security policy to check you are allowed  to install  these drivers onto a corporate pc! Had my estate tied down!

Why not just use your own laptop Phil rather than messing with a work one??

Why not just use your own laptop Phil rather than messing with a work one??

Two reasons:

1. I don't own a laptop and I'm on a low budget

2. I frequently travel on business and would like to do some webcamming when I'm away.

It is "sort of" accepted that people who travel frequently can "bend" the rules, as the company wouldn't pay for excess baggage for us to bring two laptops with us.

If pushed, I might consider getting an old Windows XP laptop

I travel a lot with my job and I am with Damian I'm afraid on this one Phil-if I "bent the rules" with my company laptop the policy clearly states I'd be up for a disciplinary hearing if they found out, it's just not worth the risk for me personally.

we give specific instructions NOTHING is to be put on our work machines without permission.... you never know what sort of mess someone

would make of our bespoke stuff.  Would not bear thinking about if there was a conflict :(

I travel a lot with my job and I am with Damian I'm afraid on this one Phil-if I "bent the rules" with my company laptop the policy clearly states I'd be up for a disciplinary hearing if they found out, it's just not worth the risk for me personally.

I worked for a company that merged with a larger one and the new merged company is not so strict. I have to admit I don't like the idea of having 000s of "tourist" and astro photos to process when I come back.

Do you take anything with you when you travel? I usually take my bins and DSLR as a minimum. I'd go mad if I didn't bring something astronomical with me, especially on long trips > 1 week. There are times when I miss my 127mm Mak like crazy.

I sometimes bring my PST, especially if I am Europe over the summer months.