• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Double Cluster

Johnnyaardvark

Some what thwarted by the moon and limited to 20s exposures this is my first attempt at something less bright than the moon!

Double Cluster in Perseus taken with Nikon D5000 and Skywatcher ED80. 5x 20s exposures stacked and edited in DSS, finished in View NX.

Maybe a little over processed in DSS to account for quite a light image when stacked.

Advice/comments welcome please :)

13837622094_858ccee231_k.jpgDouble Cluster cropped by sja88, on Flickr

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one!

One of my favorite targets.

I'm relatively new to imaging and this is a great one to hone your skills on.

Darks and flats will help.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Paul.

Still trying to suss out the best way to do darks and flats. Will probably do a few darks on the night rather than built a data bank of them. Flats seem a little more troublesome without disturbing the kit. Quite a lot to learn but so little time to practice... need some better weather! Not been a bad couple of weeks though :)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, good effort! I usually do my Darks as soon as I finish imaging by using a cable-release timer and leaving the camera on the door step while I pack away and have a brew!! I keep a library of Flats but rarely use them. Try different numbers of darks and Flats till you work out the best combination for a particular image!! Good luck and keep at it!

Cheers

Ron