• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Processing in DSS or GIMP/CS2 etc

Johnnyaardvark

Hi all,

A quick question probably not with quick answers.

I have stacked some images (these will/are appearing in the imaging section) but when using DSS the stacked images tend to be very faint/light.

I have tried finishing/processing these in DSS but find it a little cumbersome  as you have to click on apply each time top see changes.

Is it better just to export the faint image and finish it in the likes of GIMP or CS2, or... should I endeavour  to finish processing in DSS first.

What do you do? Any way to get the final stacked images darker after stacking without post processing? Should I be adding flat files? What are they and what are dark flats? I have added one dark file to my images and it has I think successfully extracted a couple of hot/dead pixels... 

OK, turned into a long question :)

Any advice/help welcome...

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

i would save as tif if you can ( 16 bit) and use photoshop or GIMP.  I use photoshop

calibration is always useful ;)  gets rid of the rubbish and dust bunnies

I can only repeat what has already been said above - save the DSS results and then process in your photo editing software.

Thanks all. Anything I can do to make the output file from DSS less faint/grey?

Sheila, What do you mean by calibration. Do you mean the RGB by channel calibration settings?

As for flat files. Are these usually light? Mike, if I remember correctly you were using a pizza base (sorry to let on your secrets :) )What light source do you allow through it and when?

Darks: how many should you use? Do they have to be exactly the same ISO, exposure times etc. taken at night and in the same conditions.

If you are doing different exposure times, say for example to capture different brightness of parts of an object for contrast do these need stacking separately then combing in GIMP/PS after?

Thanks again,

Steve

I'm no expert being new to DSS. Flat files are overexposed images with the same camera, ISO and exposure time. I get mine by pointing the camera at cloud in daylight. Works a treat.

I first tried DSS a couple of years ago but tried again recently and it is going well.

I finish in GIMP. As I said on another thread, I use freeware for everything.

Thanks Phil.

So flats do not have to be taken at night at the same temperature? time? orientation with respect to lenses (i.e. Scope).

What are dark flats? Any ideas?

Can dark frames be taken the day after?

Thanks

Steve

Guest Kheldar

I'm no expert being new to DSS. Flat files are overexposed images with the same camera, ISO and exposure time. I get mine by pointing the camera at cloud in daylight. Works a treat.

I first tried DSS a couple of years ago but tried again recently and it is going well.

I finish in GIMP. As I said on another thread, I use freeware for everything.

This is incorrect Phil. Flats should be about 2/3 total fill of the pixel well depth. This is invariably NOT the same exposure time?

Edited by Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

BIAS

1. Keep the same ISO
  2. Remove camera from system and put lens cap on
  3. Exposure time - as fast as the camera can shoot
  4. Valid for - 6 months

DARK

1. Keep the same ISO, exposure, temperature
  2. Shoot on the night with lens cap covered, or take them away from the scope if you can control the camera temperature
  3. Valid for - 6 months or less (so long as you match temperatures)

FLAT

1. Keep the same ISO
  2. Shoot on the night ideally with a flat panel or sun/cloud flats when it rises
  3. DO NOT DISTURB THE IMAGING TRAIN!
  4. You have to work out exposure length, look at histo of say a 1 second sub. Is the graph peak about 2/3 up the chart (x axis?) if so repeat. If not, reduce/increase exposure time accordingly
  5. Valid for - one night only
Edited by Kheldar

Thank you Stephen. That is very detailed :) I will read through it in a bit more detail and try and absorb/process that mentally. I will most likely have more questions :)