• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Settings to get me started...

Guest AstroOlly

Guest AstroOlly

Hi,

I just picked up an ASI120mc for planetary imaging, but I'm wondering about all the debayer settings available in FireCapture.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the various settings for this camera to yield a proper color video stream?

I'm also interested in any recommended starting points for gain/exposure,WB, etc, settings given that I'm shooting through an 8" SCT, whether using Sharpcap or Firecapture....

I realize any recommendations should be considered starting points and that I'll have to adjust them most every night, but it would help to benefit from everyone else's learning experiences.

Thanks for helping get started.

Olly

Hey olly, if you take a look at the Mars images I did recently in the planetary section thread called "best Mars yet" I have listed all if the camera settings from sharpcap next to each image :)

Guest AstroOlly

Hey olly, if you take a look at the Mars images I did recently in the planetary section thread called "best Mars yet" I have listed all if the camera settings from sharpcap next to each image :)

Cheers Felix, will do

Olly

Edited by AstroOlly

Guest AstroOlly

I have looked at the images, superb

What F ratio were they taken at?

I read somewhere that the best F ratio with the ASI camera's pixel size is around F20??

Olly

Well I haven't worked out the exact F ratio but the native is F6 for my scope and I used a 4xpowermate and a 2.5 inch extension so when adding the length of the powermate into the mix I would hazard a guess at F25 approx. it's worth mentioning that the seeing conditions for the night that I took the Mars shots where the best I've experienced in 2 years.

Great article in May's Sky & Telescope mag about colour CCD's and processing!!

Cheers

Ron