• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ISS April 16th 2014

Guest simon

Guest simon

Hi, I used my 8 inch Newtonian on a heq5 mount which doesn't make much difference as it plays no part but holding the scope.

To capture the Iss I used a webcam placed in the eyepiece with a x2 Barlow. To track the iss I did it by looking through the finder scope, mines a 9x50. To achieve this you have to align the finder to the eyepiece, spend a bit of time doing this with more powerful eyepieces to get it all central. Next I set the scope up on Jupiter to get the correct exposure as Jupiter is bright, as is the Iss. It's a bit pot look as the Iss brightness does change from day to day. I also used Jupiter to get focus.

That's the easy bit done, take the brakes of the mount get good balance and get comfy. Have a rough idea where the Iss is coming up and just before it's due, start capturing. Then as the Iss comes into view find it in your finder and track it as best you can, it's not easy and you will have more blank screen than Iss but you don't need a lot to get a image. Then there's imaging and best to explain that is this YouTube video http://youtu.be/-2rACCp9Zg8. It's astronomy shed. All the editing software is free to download and easy to use ( I know this because I managed to use it ). Good luck .