• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Frankeneq6 help required

Guest twintin

Guest twintin

I've posted over on sol about my making 1 neq6 from 2 damaged ones. I have it all together and it powers up. My problem is I only have a syntrek handset to test it with and when I plug it in all the handset does is flash all it's LEDs. The mounts motors make a very quiet whine when it's plugged in ( just like the heq5 does) but the handset does nothing but flash. Any ideas to help me breath life into the mount? Hoping it's not the board gone, although power is getting to the motors so I don't know?

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark

I have a feeling and I could be wrong here but I do not think a syntrek hand set will run a synscan board.

I know the synscan handset will run a syntrek mount but I do not think it will work the other way round.

Best thing to do is find someone with a synscan hand set or a lappy running eqmod and test it again.

If you cannot find one send it down to me and I will run it up on the bench tester for you.

Edited by Graham

Guest twintin

Thanks for that Graham, i had a suspicion that may be the case. I'm going to mod the cable to fit my heq5 synscan so can test it out that way. I'll Pm you re the meade bits shortly as well.

Mark

Guest twintin

Well i couldnt wait so off to maplins for a pack of RJ45 connectors, quick mod to the syntrek cable and ITS ALIVE!!!!

Don't think you're right graham - both handsets work on both mounts, the ONLY difference is the handset :)

quite possible Stephen.

I know they work with the synscan handset driving a syntrek HEQ5 mount wasn't too sure if it will work the other way round especially on the NEQ6. :)

Guest twintin

Well it defo works with the synscan and doesn't work at all with the syntrek so don't know if it's down to a dodgy hand set or not?