• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron CGEM GOTO

Johnnyaardvark

nothing wrong with them, nice mounts but i`m not sure they work with eqmod, although i may be wrong, if your not using eqmod then no problem

Thanks Rob.

Anyone know if there are any EQmod workarounds? Or Alternatives?

Steve

Hi

Any thoughts about this mount? Anyone have any experience of them? Any known issues? How does it compare to the NEQ6?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-cgem-goto.html

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I have serviced a couple of these mounts and my impression of them is about as high as it can get.

They are superbly built using quality materials. :2thumbsup:

I know a couple of  people who have gone from the EQ6 to the CGEM and would never go back.

Have heard a few horror stories about customer service but cannot quote any direct so to speak its just what I have picked up through the grape vine.

Cannot say for definite about the EQMOD bit but I thought it had been adjusted if that's the word to enable the use of CGEM mounts.

There is an EQMOD Yahoo group who will have all the relevant information.

Further reading on CGEM vs the NEQ6 is quite interesting.

Most people seem to end up going for the NEQ6 when first buying and I know that many forum members here are NEQ6 owners.

Lots of complaints/comments/concerns about tracking. Specifically due to the CGEM motor cogging especially noticeable when correcting in the DEC axis.

I am also surprised to read that the weight limit for the NEQ6 appears to be higher even though the mount is a couple of Kg's lighter.

Is the CGEM really a step up from the NEQ6? Are the DC Servo motors really better than the NEQ6 stepper motors? Is the build quality better on older CGEM models?

I am looking at a 2nd had one I think it is pre NexStar+. Am I reading too much into reviews/forum comments? Are the Should I be checking for these issues when buying a 2nd hand mount?

Would love to hear some more comments/thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I used to own a CGEM a while ago but traded mine in (RVO) when the AZ-EQ6 was released.

Pros :  Well built, easily handled a 9Kg refractor

The user interface is better than the Skywatcher equivalent.

Cons :   For me the noise of the thing. It sounded awful when it was slewing. (ok when tracking) My wife used to complain about it.

They are known as 'coffee grinders' in the US.  The EQ-6 is lovely and quiet in comparison.

The handset lead is way too short. 

The power connector, and handset connections are problematic. All down to using poor quality materials. The AZ-EQ6 has a much better power connection.

Both will do a job, but i'd personally go for an EZ-6 or AZ-EQ6 over the CGEM. They are both crazy heavy to lug about. 

Easy to do your back in humping them about and i do weights & gym regularly.

This is only my experience ; i have to say i've completely gone off powered mounts. I spend ages setting up, usually not very well, which impacts on the time i should be observing.

I wish i'd gone for a bare bones mount....something like a Discmount. Maybe i will someday......... :unsure: