• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

help with correct spacing of flatner to atik camera

red dwalf

hi all,

been trying to find the correct distance from the back of the William optics GT81 flatner to the Atik Titan camera, 

at the moment i have from the rear of the flatner, Atik filter wheel screwed straight onto the flatner then the Atik Titan ccd camera, a spacing of around 40mm from rear of flatner to ccd chip, fairly certain it needs to be more than this, found information regarding the flatner to Canon eos cameras which suggests a distance of slightly over 64mm.

any help please.

couldn`t find much Ron, lots on canon cameras but different lengths being advertised on different sites, looks promising around the 55mm from back of flatner body to ccd chip

Guest chrism37

Hey Rob. If you remove the gt81 spacer from the back of the flattener, the distance from the back Face of the flattener 'shoulder' (not the thread) to the chip should be between 64 and 65 mm. Seems the atik has 12 mm from the front face of the nosepiece to the chip so 64mm total less 12 is 52. This less 20mm for the atik manual filter wheel leaves 32mm to make up approx. 32 mm spacer would be simplest but if you got a t thread to eyepiece converter with that filter wheel (there was one with my Opticstar wheel) you could put this on the back of the filter wheel and a t to 1.25 nosepiece on the front of the titan and you should make up around 26 judging by the atik technical drawings. This would leave just 6 mm which you could make up with something? I used a t thread adaptor onto a Barlow tube for a webcam.

Also, have you tried the atik into the gt81 with no flattener? You might need a Barlow tube for some focus but you might find the field is flat enough without the flattener on a relatively small chip. Don't forget the flattener is primarily for DSLR or larger chips. I used my dmk21 quite successfully without a flattener but you REALLY need it for larger chips.

Cheers mate

Chris

P.s. drop me a line on sgl if you need a hand, I'm slowly moving across to emsg but still find myself on sgl more often than here!

Guest chrism37

Also i hust looked at the technical drawings again and the t thread on the atik is recessed by 3 mm so this might be worth chucking in to the equation.

thanks all much appreciated. 

nice and clear ish last night but didn`t get chance to try it out due to going along to the quarterly meet, alot better skies over there 

Guest chrism37

I was sat in the garden looking at the lovely clear skies with no scope! And my lad has been playing with my bins so I couldn't find them. Argh!