• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 RGB taken one a night of full moon

red dwalf

took these a while back when the moon was about full, didn`t expect much but had itchy fingers and was dying to image something, this was 7 x 5 minutes of each channel binned 2x2 with darks and bias added, gave myself a bit to do lining all the channels up as i was so desperate to image something i never got the galaxy in the middle of the filed of view so gave deep sky stacker a job to do lining them all up, the channels could do with aligning alittle better, also took some lum at 1 x 1 binning not realising dss would have trouble stacking the 2x2 binned colour with 1x1 lum channel so had to resize the binned channels but then wasn`t 100% certain how to add the lum channel.

anyway here`s the galaxy so far.

m51-finished-rgb--web_zps0106c5cd.jpg

The data looks nice rob, but there is a big red waft of something in the background.

Good luck sorting it out, will be nice.

JD

that was on a couple of the subs James, i should take them out really, don`t know what it was.

think i will have another go at it, strange as it was only in the red channel, could it have been light cloud ?