• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Leo Trio

fwm891

LeoTrio10x120sISO800STracker400mmf56_zps

Leo Trio shot with an old Tokina 400 f5.6 lens @ f5.6, unmodified DSLR 10x120s subs at 800 iso. processed in PI and PS-CS3

No flats, bias or dark frames applied.

This is another test of my Skytracker V2. Forecast was poor for the night as cloud and fog predicted but skies stayed clear for long enough to capture these subs. I used the android ap from the iOptron site to set-up the PA for this and that proved to be very good. I set-up the PA with the camera in place on the unit so there would be no further flexing due to adding the camera/lens assembly.

Really nice wide field that. Great pinpoint stars.

Another fuzzy as well as the triplet?

Nice pic - sounds like a good piece of hardware AND fun.

Steve is that "fuzzy" at about 4.00 and 1 inch in  - or is that my dirty screen again?

That'sd an excellent image.

You should store it in Astrobin who automatically plate solve it for you. Then you could identify the other fuzzy and anything else you might have missed.

Dave

Thanks all. Yes there's a lot of 'other' fuzzies etc there. The main trio was the target just to see what sort of detail I'd get with the iOptron Skytracker and an old 400mm lens. I'll be trying lots of combos on this, even a short telescope providing I can keep the weight well under the maximum loading (3.5 Kg)

I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded it to nova.astromerty.net. I think you've captured a bit more than the triplet :)

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/263738#annotated

This link might not be around for long, as that system is fairly transitory.

Nice pic - sounds like a good piece of hardware AND fun.

Steve is that "fuzzy" at about 4.00 and 1 inch in  - or is that my dirty screen again?

Looks like it was NGC3593 I spotted... its not your dirty screen Clive :)

Amazing how much is on there. I have been submitting some of mine by the astrometry net flickr group. It's  a shame that since flickr changed it's format/look it no longer highlights the objects it finds.

Really cool just how much is out there.

Steve