• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Deep Sky software for ZWO cams?

RonC

I've got Sharpcap and Firecapture for planets and Lunar but what's the best for deep sky? Cannot get APT to work and backyard EOS is fine with my Canon!

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ron

I use fire capture, seems to be faster, I think its 300fps not 3600 :D :D

Edit I didn't even read the full post as I'm on my mobile, doh

Edited by Eddy

Just interested to see what it can do!

That's the sort of thing I thought only I did :)

It is very noisy when doing "long" exposures. I had a play with it on either M3 or M13 (I never remember which is which, and now I can't even remember what constellation I was in), and it was very noisy. Also, the chip is quite small and combined with my long focal length C11, I think only the core was appearing. I didn't do any darks and just looked at single subs on the laptop screen. I've yet to try it again with a Peltier cooling set up Leigh has kindly knocked together for me

I think I used either sharp cap or firecapture and just set the exposure time to 20 seconds or so; I can't really remember.

There are people on SGL who have done some simple DSO stuff with the ZWO, but it's not a long exposure camera, so the results are nowhere near as good as dedicated CCDs; plus it's a CMOS if that makes any difference (in addition to the noise component).

I'm planning to have another go with it at 30-90 second exposures on the brighter (and smaller) DSOs when I get around to it (like the Ring Neb, and maybe the not so bright Dumbbell) and see how the Peltier helps.

JD

Interesting james, trust me to get a planetary camera when it's a new Moon and cloudy!  :lol:

Hey Ron, the below pics are from ZWO FB page and are but it's certainly worth having a go at some DSO's

[

IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/01/neqagyba.jpg

Above is 200 9 sec exposures with mono version from a 12 inch Newt on EQ mount

This one below is is using the MC and is 160 9.9 sec exposures

qu7e8apu.jpg

I may have a go at a glob at some point

The moon isn't much of an interference with planetary imaging at all, but the cloud is an issue yes.

I think you'll get better results sticking with the Canon for DSOs. The ZWO will do it but I'd see it as a waste of precious imaging time! :)

I think you'll get better results sticking with the Canon for DSOs. The ZWO will do it but I'd see it as a waste of precious imaging time! :)

What Leigh said Ron, some folks have got some half decent results with the ASI cameras on DSO`s but you will never match what you are getting with your DSLR.

I wasn't thinking of replacing the 1000d for the ZWO but I may use it for guiding the Canon when not using it for Planetary or Lunar  :)  :)

Not what i meant at all Ron. Just seems a lot of faffing when the results will not match or be better than you are already getting. I use mine as a guide camera Ron. Seems to work well

Edited by oldfruit