• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Panstarrs

Tweedledee

After reading Damians (Damnuut) post, I had a search for Panstarrs last night about 11.15pm with the 15x70s.

Had a good study of it in Stellarium before I went out, so I knew precisely where to look, close to 4.65 mag 24 CVn in the direction towards Alkaid. The sky was poor with probably 95% clouds drifting by, providing windows less than a minute at a time to examine the area. Also, because I was due to get up at 6am, I didn't spend long and had little dark adaptation.

I feel certain I saw the comet as a star only, since no star just the comet was shown there in Stellarium. So it certainly did not look like a comet in the bins. Although about the same brightness, it did not stand out as much as nearby M51 did last night (which also looked dismal), so I must have only seen the brighter head of the comet. Will have to get the scope on it.

Has anyone else had a good view of it?

I think a few will tonight Peter, promises to be clear and it well positioned, so watch this thread!!  :)

I think a few will tonight Peter, promises to be clear and it well positioned, so watch this thread!!  :)

That's good Ron. My forecast is currently looking good for both tonight and tomorrow night. And I have a long weekend off :)

Someone on Astrobin (rolando ligustri on May 2, 2014 @ from New Mexico)  photo http://www.astrobin.com/93843/ unfortunately its was from New Mexico - better sky etc- shows M51 as well

Has some settings at top for you Astrophoto types if that helps - widefield etc

Edited by stash

I found Panstarrs a bit of a disappointment last night visually.

It was quite faint in the 10" from my light polluted backyard, but at least it was an easy find being located on a line between 21 and 24 CVN.

I could only make out a fuzzy circular blob with brightness reducing rapidly to the edge and was slight smaller in size than the full extent of M51 and its companion. It was looking more like an unresolved globular cluster.

Hope others had a better view from dark sites and will show some good images.

Edited by petersull

That's about what I saw from belper last night with my 130, little better with caz and Wayne c8. Couldn't make it out as a comet with a tail. As you say looked more like a glob. In fact if we didn't have it in two scopes I wouldn't of been convinced I'd seen it.

Glad the three of you saw it.

Nothing spectacular, but always nice to see a comet, especially so high up and away from the murk near the horizon :)