• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

300p flexi - flocked the top section

DaveJW

I got the flocking done today - did the inside of the top section, inside the focuser tube, outside of the focuser tube where it protrudes into the scope tube & even stuck a bit over the leading edge of the secondary mirror. (I don't know if the flock will stay stuck to the mirror edge, but it seems fine at the moment!). It wasn't as difficult a job as I imagined it might be & I learned something that others might find helpful.

The top section of a flexi-tube has two flanges, one at either end. The lower one is the attachment for the three sliding struts and the upper is just strengthening for the top of the tube. Both of these form steps inside the tube as they have a smaller diameter than the metal tubing itself. The best way I found of dealing with the step was to make strips & apply them along the flange, then make cuts in the flocking that I left protruding over the flange edge - at about 1cm intervals. You can them fold the little flaps that you've made down over the step. Do the flanges first then go over the tube to cover you cut off ends. Maybe the pictures will make this more understandable! :)

Edited by DaveJW