• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Portable 12v Power Supply

parklife2uk

Inspired by Allan (the plumber) today I have completed my portable 12v power supply - I'll upload some photos soon!!

The lower compartment contains the 12v Leisure battery which is connected to a main on/off switch. The smaller switch allows for a choice between charging devices - although I only have a 240v CTEK charger at the moment. The push button switch is for the battery tester with the voltage level indicated by the LED's.

Any questions - please ask!

Hi Steve, used the same bit of kit myself! 12v Baz's battery and a 300w 230v inverter in the base, EQ5 mount (less cables) in foam in the middle section and the rest in the top drawer. I have only one 12v out for the mount and 230v for the laptop. Nothing like you're wiring though!, nice bit of kit mate!  :)

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron.

Is it possible to power a laptop straight from the 12v supply? I've been looking on eBay at some cables that will do the job but everyone else seems to go for the inverter?

Not as far as I know Steve, I've still to wire up the inverter only just got it!

Ron

I've got a 12v adapter for my laptop, I run it off a slave battery in the van for 12hrs no worries. Not sure where it's from as it came to me via Sheila.

Guest Kheldar

Thanks Ron.

Is it possible to power a laptop straight from the 12v supply? I've been looking on eBay at some cables that will do the job but everyone else seems to go for the inverter?

Yes

Very few people actually use inverters ...

Ron,

There's a few on ebay, but not sure of your exact model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpackard+bell+Laptop+Power+DC+Adapter+Car+Charger&_nkw=packard+bell+Laptop+Power+DC+Adapter+Car+Charger&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Not that it matters if you have the inverter, but would like to know how you get on!

very smart Steve very professional :) 

Concerning inverters, I use one of Baz's batteries with a 240V inverter. I wait for laptop battery to get low plug in battery and over about an hour or so the battery recharges, unplug Baz battery and turn off inverter back on to battery power, have had no power issues with this and from what my plug in volt meter says running the 240V inverter doesn't seem to flatten the Baz battery at all. Not sure if the 12V laptop power supply would recharge laptop battery? (Stephen !!?? you know these things)  ;)

I use this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80W-DC-12V-Car-Charger-Power-Supply-Adapter-For-Laptop-Notebook-DELL-IBM-HP-Sony-/320776357732?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies&hash=item4aafc2c764

It's got an adjustable voltage output and a selection of connectors so should suit most machines. I don't use the laptop battery in the field, just take it off if possible.

Be wary of using mains voltage in a dewy environment.

Guest Kheldar

very smart Steve very professional :)

Concerning inverters, I use one of Baz's batteries with a 240V inverter. I wait for laptop battery to get low plug in battery and over about an hour or so the battery recharges, unplug Baz battery and turn off inverter back on to battery power, have had no power issues with this and from what my plug in volt meter says running the 240V inverter doesn't seem to flatten the Baz battery at all. Not sure if the 12V laptop power supply would recharge laptop battery? (Stephen !!?? you know these things)  ;)

The 12V cable chargers the battery no problems.

Think about it this way

Scenario A

Baz Battery - 12V DC

Inverter - Steps up 12V DC to 230V AC

Laptop Power Lead (AC) - Steps down 230V AC to 12V DC (or 14V DC or 19V DC depending on laptop)

Scenario B

Baz Battery - 12V DC

12V DC Power Lead - Steps up 12V DC to 12V DC (or 14V DC or 19V DC depending on laptop)

Edited by Kheldar

Steve great job - one minor point I would use a rubber grommet for the "loose" connection  as per the last picture else you might become "smoking" .

E.G. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/220936526273?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Thought about returning my inverter, (still inthe box) and getting one of those 12v to 19v convertors. Looks a lot safer.Will see how I get on!

Thanks for all the info! :)

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke

Steve great job - one minor point I would use a rubber grommet for the "loose" connection  as per the last picture else you might become "smoking" .

E.G. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/220936526273?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Thanks Clive - are you recommending this to stop water ingress?