• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello

Guest MacT

Guest MacT

Hi everyone, my name is Pam and I live in Nottingham. I have had an interest in astronomy for a long time but felt I didn't have the time to devote to a new interest but now since the family is off hand and with more time for self I  have decided to do something about it.I must admit to having been a lurker on the forum for the last few weeks but I have learnt so much so thank you guys! :clap2: My only concern is that I wear glasses as I am practically blind in the left eye and short-sighted in the right hence the glasses. I would ask if this would be considered a disadvantage or a bar to taking up astronomy? 

Regards Pam

no i would not say so, i have varifocals and my long distance sight is awful.  I manage OK.  have you tried to look through binoculars and

focus them.  Its similar, you can focus them to your eye/eyes with the focuser on the telescope.  I am sure you will be fine.  We have some

folks with worse eyesight than me too :lol:

Sheila

Guest MacT

Thanks Sheila that's  a relief!  :) Not got myself a scope yet as my head is whirling with all the info and choices I've read up on! :e_confused:

Regards Pam

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Pam,

Welcome to the forum, as a fellow speccy wearer all of the correction I need is via the scopes focusser!.

Best idea is before buying and regretting is to come along to a meet and see what other folk have kit wise. That could save your hard earned cash. Meets often happen very quickly but usually posted on the forum.

Thanks Sheila that's  a relief!  :) Not got myself a scope yet as my head is whirling with all the info and choices I've read up on! :e_confused:

Regards Pam

please make sure you talk to folks on here, we nearly all have made expensive mistakes in the choice of scope :(  I include myself in that :lol:

Decide what you want to see or image and ask the folks on here for their input.  then you wont go far wrong :)  you can also come to a meet

if you can and actually get a look through the scopes and see the different types.

Welcome. Don't worry about the glasses issue.

If you can get to look through some scopes with/without your glasses you'll see what can be achieved. If you are near west bridgford feel free to pop over one clear night and we can have a look through my scope and see some stuff (a fair amount of light pollution so limited what can be seen visually but you'll see lots of detail on the moon and the rings of saturn and lots of double stars and globular clusters and some of the brighter nebula. All pretty stuff.

James

Hi Pam, welcome to EMS. :-)

I also wear glasses with my scope, because I feel sea sick and wobbly when I don't, that's because my eyes don't see eye to eye. :-/

Hi Pam and welcome to EMS. :)

I can only reiterate what others have said - try before you buy. Join us at an observing session and you'll get to look through several different types of scopes and eyepieces, ask lots of questions, and get a few demos - we're good at all that. Hopefully you'll start to make sense of the massive jumble of info that wipes out any beginners brain cells. It can be worse than a lobotomy lol.

Meantime enjoy the forum and ask any questions you like in the appropriate sections. :)

Hi Pam welcome to the forum

I tend to need glasses to look at my laptop (it  all i seem to do these days)    what's all this looking down eye pieces lark then?  new to me!!

Hi, welcome along. I'm another specy. Only wear them to find objects and then don't wear them at the eyepiece. As above come along to a meet and get your hands on some scopes see what you get on with. If you become a dark site member there are some loan scopes available to have a proper go with in your own time.

All the best,

Andy.

Hi Pam, a warm welcome to EMS.

Another glasses wearer here, but as most of us, not at the eyepiece. I have tried spec's but it restricts the amount of view you get and in my case makes the view worse.

Come along, and try out some scope and eyepiece combinations and see what suits you.

In the meantime enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Pam welcome to the forum, another speccy wearer here (hmmmm, but of a theme here) and I also have Diabetic retinopathy which makes my right eye completely useless, but I manage just fine, I don't need my specs when at the eye piece.

Like mentioned, feel free to pop along to a meet then you can try a few scopes out.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum.

Hi Pam & welcome to EMS.

Yet another glasses wearer here  :geek: - I usually view find it best viewing at the ep without my glasses, but do find I need them when reading the goto handset on my HEQ5.

I got so fed up with taking them on/off all the time I bought a cheap pair of 'supermarket' reading glasses and pushed one of the lenses out .... view at the ep without the lens and on the handset with (good job it's dark when I wear them) ...... Maybe I should get myself a Sir Patrick Moore style monocle  :D

Al

Hi Pam welcome to the EMS 

Stephen

Welcome to EMS Pam.

You've come to the right place to learn to do astronomy :) .

Your eyes should be fine with a telescope :thumbsup:

I wear glasses for reading only, not for looking through an eyepiece. I found it a pain having to use the glasses to read a star map outside in the dark, because I'd put my glasses down and could not see to find them again :D . That was soon solved by putting the glasses on a lanyard around my neck.

A monocle like Al said might be fun though :D