• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi EMS

Guest Martin Hill

Guest Martin Hill

This is the first time for me on this or any other forum .

I'm a 57 year old divorce and family lawyer working from home in Market harborough and I'm also a hypnotherapist /past life therapist .

I have owned a telescope since I was about 5 and every time I hear the Beatles song "Penny Lane " it brings back memories of cold evenings watching the sky with  2 inch refractor in the 1960's.

I presently have a Meade 12 inch Schmidt Cassegrain which Ive really not used enough so thats on ebay for sale now. I had decided to replace it with a 14inch dob . Skywatcher seeemed like the right choice untill yesterday when Icame across a company called Explorer Scientific who have recently introduced what they call an Ultralight Dobsonian . The thing looks impressive as does the price and weight . Problem is I cannot find any reviews of them . They are german made which is somewhat reassuring but I wondes if anyone has any experience of them ?

Hi Martin, welcome aboard. I can't help you with you dob but someone will be along soon I'm sure.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, not a Dob man so can't help you with the ES Dob  :)

Guest devil74

Hi Martin and welcome to EMS :)

So your going for a 14" dob then...nice.

Without having looked at the ES dob I can't comment on it really but the thing that springs to mind is size. Will you primarily be stargazing from home or taking it elsewhere?

It's just a consideration, portability is a big factor with dobs. Saying that Kim brought a 16" Lightbridge not too long ago...and he's from jurassic era! :)

Hello from me.

I used to live just down the road from harborough, in kibworth. Haven't been that way for a while.

Welcome to EMS

Hi Martin, a warm welcome to EMS.

I have the 12" Skywatcher Dob and I love it, it's the basic manual one, and clocking on a bit now, but still delivers great views. I haven't heard anything about these ES one's, but they look good, and the brand is generally excellent.

Enjoy the forum.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Martin,

Warm welcome to EMS, as a previous 10"LX200 owner, my ideal scope would be a 12" or 14" sct. Plenty of big dob owners on the forum, have you considered hte orion skynquest 12"?? Explore scientific have produced some lovely eps recently, no experience with their dobs though.

Guest Martin Hill

Thanks for the welcome . I'm seriously torn right now .The Meade has to go . She's a beauty but she needs a better home . Ive looked at upping the aperture to 14inch but Explore scientific whose prices are terrific (nearly scans ) don't do a 14inch but the price for their 12 inch is a steal and the low weight seems great for an ex weightlifter who cant lift what he used to ! That said ive just seen an Ad at telescope house for a 16inch Revelation at only £1299 . I mean is it possible? its stripped back to basics so the weight may not be too much of an issue : 40 kg ain't that much and the aperture is droolmaking at that price ...........cant find a review (which means i cant find someone braver than me who's bought one i suppose ) I wish sellers would put the "footprint " of their scopes and the weight on the Ad . I'm going to have to buy a small shed to keep it in and as my garden is postage stamp size the shed needs to fit snuggly. yes i have a wife ...So its a skywatcher 14 inch and a weight belt or an ES 12inch and a compromise on size or the 16inch and hope the Mrs doesn't get the tape measure out . ( mind you Ive had that hope fo years but nothing to do with astronomy .........)