• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st attempt at solar imaging

TasKiNG

Here's my first attempt at solar.

I modified an old small reflector and added a DIY solar filter. 

Image taken with a ASI120MC. Had to take 4 pics and join them in Photoshop. Will be better when I can get my SLR hooked up to it.

sun_09may14.jpg

I know DIY filters are dangerous so made sure I only viewed using a camera rather than using an eyepiece :)

When you say "DIY Solar filter" Dave I'm slightly puzzled. Are you using Baader Solar film and the frame holding it is DIY?

Hope it's not DIY film or you could risk overheating and burning out your camera. :)

Personally, I think you'll get better results from stacked video than from a dSLR. Did you use video or single shots?

When you say "DIY Solar filter" Dave I'm slightly puzzled. Are you using Baader Solar film and the frame holding it is DIY?

Hope it's not DIY film or you could risk overheating and burning out your camera. :)

Using 4 layers of silvered mylar film. I'm being very careful to keep the light levels really low :)

I've got a really old Nikon D1X body which i'm going to use with it. It's hardly worth anything so not too bothered if I destroy it while experimenting. I'm certainly not going to use it with an eyepiece :)

Personally, I think you'll get better results from stacked video than from a dSLR. Did you use video or single shots?

Not tried stacking it yet but will give it a go next time thanks.

Edited by TasKiNG

Not bad at all, but why is it Red?  :wacko:

Not sure why it's red.

I shot raw then debayered it in PIPP and it went white but had large patchy green areas.

The firecapture debayer worked great but it came out blue.

I exported the single frames from VLC and saved them as PNG but when I open them in PhotoShop they came out red. :)

Edited by TasKiNG

How strange, any idea what the image colour was at the camera lens? Using a mirrir perhaps?

How strange, any idea what the image colour was at the camera lens? Using a mirrir perhaps?

It was a blue colour.

I modified the eye peice holder so I could connect my SLR and the image quality is much better.

This was converted to black and white then colour added with photoshop.

solar13may14_lowres.jpg

Really got the solar bug now so will be looking to buy a proper solar filter for my C8 :)

Edited by TasKiNG