• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Garage observatory

Astrocookie

OK. I'm going to put this out there.

It's a bit pie in the sky, but if feedback is positive I may endeavor to accomplish this....

Observing from my garden is OK but I would love an obs.

Unfortunately I don't have the room for one without upsetting the kids and/or SHMBO.

Here's the idea.

I have a flat roofed garage and views from up there are pretty good but the bounce of the roof prevents any astrophotography.

I was thinking of chopping in a couple of steel RSJ's across the width of the garage towards one end close the the roof.

Then chopping a square out of the roof fitting a raised frame and sealing with tar etc.

This could then have a hatch to prevent rain entering when not in use.

I could then mount a pier onto the RSJ's central to the hatch.

The hatch lid could then be removed and the telescope attached to the mount beneath.

I would then be free to walk around the scope which would be isolated from the roof.

Even drop the cables down into the garage as a kind of warm room!

That's the theory.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Especially any builder type persons.

I have a close neighbour who would guide me regarding the hatch.

I have facilities to make a pier so that shouldn't be an issue.

If you think its a mad idea feel free to let me know.  :blink:

Cheers

Paul

So put the mount effectively on top of the flat garage roof? Would you leave the mount up there, and if not how would you get heavy stuff up and down?

Any semi-permanent set up would be great. I've shelves my plans for a second time as i just don't have a big enough garden.

Sounds great though. Good luck.

Jd

Hi James

Good to hear from you.

Yeah. Mount RSJ just below the roof level, then remove hatch, and make a quick fit pier to hook up on the RSJ below.

I have room for a staircase at the back or the garage.

I don't own anything too heavy.

At the last IAS I thought you were all ready to sign a cheque for an obs  :huh:

I'm ready to sign the cheque, just don't have the room for one. And i don't have a cheque big enough to move house just yet.

Your project sounds pretty impressive; i hope you get it off the ground... Get that?

Hi Paul

I can see one big potential drawback to your plan.

You will have to leave the hatch open in order to fix your mount to the RSJ's.

The opening in the roof will cause uncontrolled thermal currents to rise out of the hatch and around your set up, this will make imaging even less possible than before.

If you wish to do AP then you will have no need to be up on the roof with the rig as you can control everything from a computer inside the garage.

Just set up the rig on a tripod, polar align then retire to the inside of the garage to do the imaging. :)

Good points well put. Thanks Graham.

Forgot about the thermals.

Do you think they would be significant in an unheated garage?

what is the garage made of ? bricks can get very warm but i would have thought they might be ok in the winter, another solution would be to reinforce the roof as said above and maybe a small obsy on the roof, something that can slide back to expose a scope and mount that's already polar aligned and can be easily covered again when finished with. some sort of bolt down system might be needed or runners where the wheels can not come out off just to help when it gets windy. 

Might you need planning permission for a structure on top of the garage rob?

As said above, it's not necessarily the heat arising from you rising and causing trouble, but the heat of the day being retained in bricks and mortar and slowly and continually released over the cooler night time.

Jd

don`t think something small on top of a garage roof will need planning permission, not thinking of another storey onto top of the garage just a small enclosure, i may be wrong.

I like your thinking Rob. It would only need to be a metre and a bit high to cover everything.

The garage roof is finished in solar reflective stuff. I may monitor how much heat it absorbs.

I'm not going to rush into it. Don't want to comprimise the garage for a failed idea.

:-$

I would double check on the planning situation, any structure on top of a flat roof ( solar panels etc.) you may need to register with your local council 

I can't see an issue if its a semi permanent  structure do you have good neighbours???  I have had a few comments when I set up about looking into peoples bedroom windows but the neighbour who said this is a bit of a joker and enjoys a pint or two with me at the pub. Neighbours can be funny though

Just a thought  :D

Think about the safety aspects as well.

Climbing around on a garage roof in the dark, could be very dangerous. Tripping over a cable or falling off the edge needs to be considered.

Points noted.

I did image Panstarrs from the garage roof when it was quite low in the sky and the scope was pointing only a couple of degrees above a lady in her nightdress.

Didn't know whether to quickly move the scope, give her a wave or what :-$

I was half expecting a knock on the door from the old bill.

I could always put barriers around the garage roof for H&S reasons.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Mainly negative so I may shelve this idea.

Let's face it, if it was a good idea then someone would have done it by now. :-D

Lots of good ideas are just a hassle to implement, so don't necessarily give up. You could easily enquire / research about "permissions", the speak to the relevant neighbours, and the like.

Jd

You could of course put the Car outside make part of the Garage roof movable and put the scope in the garage - if its concrete floor maybe one of these mounts http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/47063-adjustable-height-mobile-pier/ or this type with wheels - don't look at the price just the idea.

Just a thought - mad I know.

Mad ideas welcome Clive. Lol.

I don't think I would get away with removing part of the roof.

The missus would notice :-)