• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Deep sky Stacker

Allan the Plumber

Just a quick one, can anyone point me in the direction (YouTube, SGL, EMS forums etc ) for a tutorial on DSS setting, especially using multiply sessions different duration lengths but same OSI.

Single shot DSLR,  no filters!  know the basics but conversions with Rob and Leigh about different setting has left me confused. The correct changing of some of the default setting  may help me to get more out of the software.

Thanks

Allan 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/202644-best-deep-sky-stacker-settings-for-raw-canon-images/

This is the reply Rob got on SGL

You may have already seen this.

I have been tinkering with the settings too but always seen to get best results with the defaults.

Sorry. Can't help with multiple sessions. I still haven't got that many hours of imaging under my belt :-/

Multi sessions you open the images into groups along the tabs on the bottom. it then stacks each group and then the stacked groups together.

If you have done different sub lengths to get different detail in each though you should stack individual sessions and combine in PS or Gimp etc and use layer masks or else you will still end up with a blown area.

Thanks Mike and Paul,

I'm sure I have come across that if you use the groups sessions that you can add different exposure lengths  :unsure:

All you need to do is make sure that the first tab (the initial  one the subs automatic load into)  is not used and that all the correct lights. darks. flats and Bias are loaded into each group individually i.e. light subs of same duration, same osi and darks of all previous as well as the correct  temp and Flats and Bias are loaded in each tab group

seemed to work for my M81 82 as these where all from multiply sessions and one set of a different duration.

You can yes, I wasn't saying you can't :)

What I mean is, say you were doing m42 and were doing 15secs for the core, you shouldn't stack those with sub's of say 300 secs for the outer detail as you will just end up with the core being blown.