• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fibre glass resin mirror etc !

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

Many years ago I ground and polished an 8 inch mirror made with Pyrex glass.  It was quite successful.

At the time I then made plans to make a 24 inch mirror, but to save weight, cost and hard work I planned to cast it in fibre glass resin and to polish that. :screwloose:  :facepalm2:  :lol:

I never got around to trying this out but have always wondered if it would have worked OK, even if the figuring was not up to glass standard.

A spinning dish of mercury has also been tried as a fixed mirror pointing at the zenith

but Health and Safety or the EU would ban that idea these days.  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_mirror_telescope

Biggest is in Canada and is 6 metres in dia rotating at 8.5 RPM.

No grinding or polishing required. :)

Water would be too turbulent for a spinning mirror.

Edited by peepshow

Never heard of using fibreglass but a few years ago people were using Black vitrious ceramic mirrors.

Your fibreglass mirror would not be stable enough for optical work but would be great for radio...

Google Satellite Dishes in an DIY Array for radio Telescope makes interesting reading (USA trio)

Guest Tweedledum

I don't know if it should be dismissed out of hand!, if you were to use two layers, one base layer interwound with carbon as a structural element and the top layer with a vinyl ester which has excellent thermal properties...

All I've used it for is patching up boats :D .

I don't know if it should be dismissed out of hand!, if you were to use two layers, one base layer interwound with carbon as a structural element and the top layer with a vinyl ester which has excellent thermal properties...

All I've used it for is patching up boats :D .

A 1/10 wave parabolic boat hull perhaps? :D :D :D

Guest Tweedledum

I've seen one of the best long distance blue water yachts come off the delivery lorry where the two halves of the hull did not meet under the keel!!!...

However have made with John Adams a parabolic antenna where the base was epoxy resin with aluminium mesh embeded as the reflector, from memory it came out of the arrl antenna handbook.