• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saturn tonight

ricktom

hello everyone

sorry about this, typical beginners question, i read that tonight would be particularly good night to see Saturn, just wondered if anyone could tell me roughly about what time it might be best to get the best views as its rising or would that not be the case with it being a full moon?

rick

PS having great fun with the new telescope

Hi.

Like all objects, they are best viewed when at zenith (straight up) as you have less atmosphere to look through. Saying that though, Saturn is bright and as it is close to Earth (compared to DSO's) it does not diminish the views too much if viewed closer to the horizon.

Saturn tonight is at it's highest around midnight to one o clock (21 degrees above the horizon) where as I type this now, it's currently 7 degrees above the horizon.

I would say, if your view allows it, start looking around 10 / 11 o clock, depending on the clouds / jet stream, you should get a good view about that time.

With regards to the moon, like I said above, Saturn is bright (mag +0.1) so should hold its own against the glow of the moon.

Good luck.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Rick,

Good info from Darren. If you have not already done so download a planetarium program, lots out there but try Stellarium its great and free, to be found here : http://www.stellarium.org/  . This will also show you the position of the moon so you can make decisions on what you can see when its on full beam!

Saturn's following the moon as it rises right now - down and to the left a bit and dead easy to spot naked eye. It's nice to be able to see three planets in a clear sky for a change. :)

red filter works for me tonight - nice and clear even with barlow x 5 and 10mm - even on my cheapo ap's and pn my Bresser. So you should see it ok - IF clear sky  :(

Hi Everyone

thanks for the tips, wonderful views of Saturn last night about 10.00pm, I think I just managed to see a distinct gap in the rings and shading to the planet, really surprised at how bright it was, it must be amazing from a dark sky site, (I'm still gobsmacked at the detail whilst looking at the moon).

Thanks again

Rick

Yup Saturn was beautiful last night and the cassini division could be seen with a little scrutiny. My first time seeing it this year. Showed a newbie too and he was gob smacked. The moon was blinding though - after looking for a few mins it took me 20 mins to get rid of the after effect in my eye. :)

At least tonight , if clear sky and no obstructions, you should see Saturn first as it now past the Moon ( Kiss and Chase  :D ) and the moons glare won't be as bad for a short while - Although the red moon last night was pretty. 

Kim is dead right , as the "Dark Lord" always is :notworthy:  , the moon is nearly as bad as the Sun so be careful and give yourself a break else you may hurt your eye's and at least ruin your detail of Saturn - the correct filter on the moon will help (variable polarising and others - Kim/others who know will advise ?).

I love the "poached egg" it's a very very fascinating object (IMHO) plus you should see at least one of the Saturn's moon (Titan most likely)

hello

yes i did think it was titan (at least i hoped it was Titan) it was my first time for seeing saturn too, i only had an old pair of binoculars before, i'm afraid most of the stuff you guys talk about goes completly over my head and probably will continue to do so! for me at the moment i still cannot get over the fact that you can be in the back garden and see another planet like saturn, i take your point about a moon filter though, unbelievabily bright, luckily i was looking at saturn before the Moon.

Regards

Rick