• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello All

Guest richf

Guest richf

Born and brought up in Northampton - joined the army and travelled the world. Trained as a surveyor and in days prior to GPS used astronomy to fix positions etc. Had a good knowledge of the solar system and could identify various stars but never really had the chance to start viewing the stars. So as I am getting a little more time have got myself a couple of scopes and have started learning again.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What scopes have you got?

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Rich,

Warm welcome to EMS. Lut us know what scopes you have & whereabouts you are. Plenty of dark skies in swales.

Hwyl Fawr!

Guest richf

Thanks for the "welcomes".

I am living in SE Wales - Cwmbran and based in Abergavenny for work.

There are quite a few dark sky sites around but I guess like most places in uk the weather has been pretty poor.

I have an 8" Skywatcher and 12" Revelation Dobs. I also have a 130p Goto, but have only used it twice.

Like Forever New I have 2 astro dogs - 1 just sleeps and the other just keeps weeing on the setting circle of my dob mount!

Hi Rich, a warm welcome to EMS.

Another Dob botherer here, make yourself at home and enjoy the forum. :)

Guest Martin Hill

Hi Rich

Ivebeen here a week and already learned some real goo d stuff (except how to type on a bott of red )

Guest Tweedledum

Martin, thats where you have been going wrong, you don't type on a bottle of red, you drink it :D

Rich, know the are well and there are also several astro clubs nearby. You are right on the edge of the Beacons in y fenni, thats a great location!.

Thanks for the "welcomes".

I am living in SE Wales - Cwmbran and based in Abergavenny for work.

There are quite a few dark sky sites around but I guess like most places in uk the weather has been pretty poor.

I have an 8" Skywatcher and 12" Revelation Dobs. I also have a 130p Goto, but have only used it twice.

Like Forever New I have 2 astro dogs - 1 just sleeps and the other just keeps weeing on the setting circle of my dob mount!

More astro dogs, brill. Ours hasn't weed on Waynes dob yet, but he has on my C8's gangly legs :-/ He also barks and grumbles a lot, he's still a lot to learn about the hobby lol.

I'm usually on tapatalk, so don't see that I'm still 'forever new' - even after 1000 posts? (awaits a sensible alteration lol)