• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Beginners bins startup

Guest MacT

Guest MacT

Hi all, whilst the choosing of a suitable telescope set-up is still a daunting prospect. I have decided to go initially down the binoculars route as a start and to learn the sky to say nothing of saving up for a telescope setup. I have been considering these as a prospect, Celestron SkyMaster 15 x 70 Binoculars using a monopod or tripod as support. I was wondering if you guys agreed with my choice and if not could suggest another set up?

Regards Pam

I use those bins myself on a tripod. I imagine a monopod allows a bit more freedom of movement and can't fault it really. They can't be hand held for long cos they're quite heavy - so they do need some sort of support. Good choice! :)

Binoculars are great Pam.

They are an ideal way to help you learn the sky and will show you some rich fields of milky way and lots of star clusters, nebulae and galaxies.

I would recommend a pair of wide angle 10x50s first , since you don't need any support with them and they give a nice wide field of view so you can find things more easily.

The 15x70s are a nice step up from the 10x50s but are a bit heavier and more cumbersome, with a narrower field of view. They let you see fainter objects better. I use mine with a monopod more than a tripod. I love my 15x70s but would never part with my 10x50s.

Bins are a great 1st purchase. I prefere viewing some objects with them over my 10" newt and 6" frac

Guest MacT

Glad to hear this guys!  :) don't want to be wasting my money on useless kit! Thanks

Regards Pam

I agree with Pete, I have a pair of 8X40's for mooching about hand held and finding the star field scope targets are in, and also a pair of 15X70's for the bigger picture.

It's amazing what you can find with Bino's,  Two of the brighter galaxies, M31, and particularly M33 are best viewed in Bino's, as scopes don't really have the field of view wide enough to do them justice.

Guest MacT

As a bit of a postscript. Is the Horizon tripod the only good tripod option from a monetary aspect? 

Regards Pam

I bought some 20x60 Pentax binos a few years ago. Used an old Jessops tripod but had difficulties (being rather tall). I bought a monopod from Amazon to try as I found a really tall one. Couldn't get on with it at all. I found that it was only a little better than hand held. So, I tried a sky mirror. Much better as it would sit steady on the old tripod, but harder to find anything due to mirror image. Much easier, though, for anything near the zenith. Finished up with an Horizon tripod as well (recommended by Felix), which is much better and tall enough.

Guest MacT

Thanks for that Alan as a canny Scot was just double checking my money was being well spent!  :thumbsup:

Regards Pam