• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Clear Sky 14/5

Guest Justin

Guest Justin

Good views of Mars and Saturn last night 10-12pm. Sky was very clear but Moon was full and this cut down stars below 8th mag for a radius out to Vega, where, I imaged the 'Double double' and could see the faint 10th mag star between Epsilon Lyrae pairs. This was at a mag of aprox 375x with a Celestron 127eq so right at its limit. The binary pairs were resolved but it was more akin to looking thru a microscope than a telescope with the minute separation between the pairs. Mars was bright and featureless, I can usually see some broad feature but not so, Saturn was very near the moon and the Casini division was faint but Titan was - as always - quite obvious (since it is larger than Mercury). Also saw the M5 Globular cluster, which surprised me given the close proximity of that floodlight the Moon and the star Cor Coroli with its distant companion. I use Planetarium software to verify observation, Stellarium gives me a real time image and can simulate different scopes and lenses together with inverted image, so no mistakes.