• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

another m13 on a moon lit night

red dwalf

been having a play with the new scope and trying to sort out things and i`ve so far finished up with this lrgb image of M13,

a few problems i hope i can get help with, firstly some of the bigger stars look alittle egg shaped, i`m guessing this might be the image train not 100% sitting square in the focuser, but any help much appreciated, also i have a couple of what look like diffraction spikes on the big star top left of the picture,

did a couple of lum channel pics last night with out the flattener/reducer on and diffraction spike gone but egg shaped stars still appear.

all help gratefully recieved,

and Stephen please don`t say get a moonlight focuser, minimum funds left at the moment L.O.L.

lrgb M13

atikm13completed_zps06d01372.png

lum channel

m13test1kappasigmaclipping_zps9f479793.p

should say i`m fairly sure the egg shaped stars are not caused by guiding, i think !

looked to be guiding spot on.

Guest Philmarriott

Looking good Rob. Was gonna get out last night but was too tired as always. Hopefully be clear tonight and i will try and get something decent

thanks Phil, had a couple of hours on M101 last night myself, going to process them to see how they came out, luckily the moon is rising alittle later in the evening at the moment

Looking nice Rob.

Been having a look at this visually a couple of times over the last few nights... since I am new to [viewing] globular clusters :) I am amazed that you can start to faintly see the individual stars. Can't wait to see some in darker skies.

Interesting issue with your diffraction spike?! What was the cause?

Steve

cheers Steve,

hoping someone can shed light on the diffraction spike as i`ve no idea, also the slightly egg shaped bigger stars, i think that that might be down to not having either the reducer or ccd camera not 100% square in the focuser.

have you seen this one from a post on SGL ?

I was totally amazed how good he got the resolution,

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/216781-first-light-m13-with-new-equipment/#entry2328143

I have seen M13 visually at Kelling heath star party and it is an amazing sight to view.

Edited by red dwalf