• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Binoculars problem

Guest MacT

Guest MacT

Hi guys I got my celestron Skymaster 15x70s but I cant see thru them properly.  As I said in an earlier post that I am a glasses wearer with the left eye almost blind. Therefore the shut one eye and focus on a distant object then change over eyes does not work with me but the of the image I can see with the right eye focuses in sharply but what I also see is a black ecipis like I can see the walls of the eyepiece with focused image in one small quadrent. Am I being total goof? Have I missed something simple?  :chin_scratch2:

Regards Pam

I'm not sure exactly what is happening, but have a couple of simple suggestions. Firstly let's assume that there is no collimation or other problem with the bins, which there shouldn't be since they are new.

1. Are you sure you have the interocular distance correct. That is, different people's eyes are set at slightly different distances apart. You can adjust this by hinging the two barrels to get them perfectly matched so the optical axis of each barrel exactly matches the optical axis of your eyes.

2. On the Skymasters, the right eyepiece can be independently focused. First you should put the right objective lens cap on so you can't see an image from the right barrel and focus your left eye using the central focuser. Once you are satisfied with the focus in your left eye, take the lens cap off and only turn the right eyepiece until your right eye focuses as well.

Give it a go and report back.

Hope this helps.

Doubt that's going to work Pete as Pam says she is almost blind in her left eye.

Sorry Pam but I have nothing further to add, that's a new one one on me.....

If you are almost blind in one eye I would suggest you are ideally suited to telescope observing with an eye piece - but unsuited to using binoculars or binoviewers. Maybe a monocular with a bit of magnification would be useful for hand held, light weight grab and go type observing. Hth :)

Guest peepshow

Why not just use one section of the binoculars with your good eye and ignore thw other section?

Use them like a telescope. :)

Guest MacT

HI Guys,

An update- My son called round last night to help me use the bins. He found the bins perfect but try as I may I could not overcome the problems and so have come the conclusion that my particular sight problems rules out bins. To say I am disappointed is an under statement but I'm not ready to admit defeat.

I need to regroup and attend a future meet to see if using a telescope is possible. Meanwhile what magnification of monocular would you guys be reckoned to do the job? Just going now to play with bins to see if using just one side works like a telescope as Richard suggested!  :)

Thanks for the posts regards Pam

My wife has similar problem with one eye and finds it best to just leave the lens cover on for the one she can't see out of properly.

Seems to work for her ... but that's not to say it would work for others.

I've no experience with monoculars - but here's a few that look interesting on paper:

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/bands/sprite/10x50monocular.html

(Bak-4 and FMC are good - similar to binocs specs)

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/sport-optics/monoculars

And this discussion on CN might be interesting for you:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/4380384

:)

Guest MacT

Woohoo Guys great news I can see thru my new bins!!! Bear with me while I try to explain. Excuse my lack of scientific discription! :)

I was wondering why I could see thru my Practica Sport fold up bins to watch the garden birds and not the 10x70s then realised the low mag in the Practicas did nothing to help/aid my practically blind eye but the higher mag in the 10x70 did but only enhanced light and  I was seeing  double images merging but obviously could not focus in the blind eye so permament double images. So I had a brain wave nipped down to local chemist, bought an eye patch and hey presto I can see thru my brilliant bins!! I am so chuffed and my Philip's Stargazing with Binoculars arrived to day so I'm all set.  :2thumbsup:

Thank you for all your help.

Regards Pam 

Guest MacT

Just a footnote I did try having the lens capped and using just one side like a telescope as suggested but for some reason nothing worked until I covered my eye completely :dontknow:

Regards Pam

Pam

Just a footnote I did try having the lens capped and using just one side like a telescope as suggested but for some reason nothing worked until I covered my eye completely :dontknow:

Regards Pam

Pam ,

If covering one eye works then try a eye patch ( i do)  and keep both eye's open - might be worth a try. I am sure I read somewhere that closing one eye distorts the other eye  :chin_scratch2:

Guest Tweedledum

Glad you are now ok Pam. If you have not already done so download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium its great and will help guide you round the sky. To be found here :---  http://www.stellarium.org/

Guest MacT

Thanks guys.

Thanks Damian I have downloaded Stellarium and am trying to find my way around it.  Its giving me something to do as the skies have been cloud covered since I got my bins! lol  :dontknow:

Would a spotting scope not be a better idea. Just as light and portable mounted on a camera tripod. I'm sure the bird watchers here could better advise!!

Guest MacT

Thanks for the idea Tom but I have the bins working for me great now so all my spare cash is going into the telescope fund!  :2thumbsup: